Hello. My friends and I have been discussing treatment for canine hip dysplasia. None of our dogs have this type of problem so we don’t actually know much about this. We read something about it on the internet and that’s all the information we own. We want to find out more about this because we found a dog in a very bad shape on the street and we took care of him. Now we agreed to collect money to treat his hip dysplasia and we were hoping that someone can tell us- how much does this treatment cost and what are the success rates?

Hello. The cost of treatment and success rate depends on dog’s breed. Treatment options for every dog with hip dysplasia range from surgery to surgery, from surgery to conservative management. For example, surgery will require diligent monitoring. Surgery also can involve a long recovery time and you should be prepared on that. Conservative managements take a time as well. I think that the vet should be a great source of information. About the costs, I think that the price will range between 2500 to 3000 dollars. Trust me, whatever you choose when it comes to this issue, decision is always hard.

Hey there guys. My dog is diagnosed with hip dysplasia and he is very young. He is two years old. I went to consult my vet and he told me that darthoplasty is good new option for young dog. He explained to me that in this procedure bone is harvested and after that it is implanted to create adequate shelf over the rim on the socket. When you do this, your dog needs to get rest for 6 weeks at least and this cost between 2000 to 3000 dollars. I haven’t done this yet. I am scared that something can go wrong.

Hey everyone.

With every one of these procedures and treatments some complications can occur. Whenever you want to treat your dog you should ask your vet a lot of questions. Trust me, it is not shame to ask.

My friend has this problem as well. The vet recommended her total hip replacement. I don’t know what this procedure requires but I have heard that it is very expensive. But I have also heard that totally hip replacement is very effective but that there is a risk of infection.

Is this true? Should my friend be scared from this procedure? Her dog is 5 years old.

Hello. Well total hip replacement is definitely effective but just like you told – there is a risk of infection. When the hip joint is the problem it can be replaced. It is replaced with socket or ball. In the past it was more complicated but now it is much easier and safer. Some vets are using so called cementless procedure. I think that condition for total hip replacement are far better now because there is a strict protocol that is followed to prevent infections. This procedure offers best possibility to return into normal function. And yes, it is expensive and it costs more than 4.000 dollars.

Hey Mia,

The thing that you and your friends are doing just left me speechless, that is more than just nice of you, I wish there were more people like you guys.

As far as I know, this can only be fixed by a surgery. There are few different surgery types for this and you don't get to choose one, the type of the surgery depends on your dog's age, body size, and the severity of the hip joint's degeneration.

These surgeries include: Triple Pelvic Osteotomy (TPO), Juvenile Pubic Symphysiodesis, Total Hip Replacement and Femoral Head and Neck Excision.

They all cost about three thousand dollars. :)

Hey Mia,

The prices of each surgery type that Mima wrote above are not the same, so you should find out which exact surgery does your dog need.

The success rate is good, surgeries themselves always do the thing that they were supposed to do: fix the hip dysplasia. The thing is, sometimes, some time after the surgery, the dog's hip dysplasia might come back. I did a little research and it appears that about 3 in 100 dogs need additional surgeries after their main one. I'm not sure if you find this good or bad.

You guys are going to need a lot of money for this treatment.

Hey Mia,

Yes, these surgeries are very expensive. I have an advice for you: be sure to arrange with the person who is doing the surgery that if additional surgeries appear to be needed, that they will cost no money, or less money, at least.

The surgeries all cost about 2500 dollars average. Success rate is pretty big, the surgery is not too complicated, but you can't really know if your dog's hip dyslpasia is going to come back, that's why I gave you that advice.

If you guys are really doing this, I want to help. I want to help you with the expenses of the surgery. :)

Hey everybody,

I happen to have a friend who is a veterinarian and he knows a lot of other veterinarians, if you tell me where are you planning to take this dog to a surgery, I can ask him if he knows that vet(I don't know where are you from) so he might be able to get a discount for you. :)

In the clinic of this vet that I know, hip dysplasia treatment costs about 2600 dollars. He didn't have a single failed operation so far. Plus, I don’t know if other vets offer this, but in his clinic, if your dog happens to need an additional operation afterwards, you don’t need to pay anything for it.

Hi guys,

The success rate is pretty good, it's about 97.5%, I think that these odds are awesome.

The treatment depends on your dog's breed, size and age. You are going to have to consult with your vet in order to determine which surgery is the right surgery for your dog, but you will probably have to pay more than 2000 dollars. It's very nice what you are doing for this dog, I wish I was able to help, but my financial situation isn't that good.

There is a small chance that his hip dysplasia is going to come back, but just believe that it won’t happen and it won’t. Stay positive. :)