I am having a hip replacement in January. As stated above I am 35. I am little confused, is my age very under average age of patients that get hip replacements. I didn’t want to ask this my doc because he already thinks I am taking his time…

Hey there,
No not at all. Patients are usually younger people. Unfortunately I really do not know the average age of patients, but I know these are young people.
Oh, yes… if you have this feeling with your doctor, why don’t you ask him that…make him feel little uncomfortable and let him see what is this like…

I would tell you to find another dr if he thinks your taking his time.I have went through 3 dr's before I found the one that's right for me and my situation.I am 31 and having a more difficult joint hip replacement,due to a serious car accident 20 months ago.Good luck!

I was just recently told I will need hip resurfacing. I am only 30 years old and my husband and I are hoping to have a couple of children and we have learned that with hip resurfacing or any type of metal on metal implant that metal ions are released into the blood stream and that they can pass through the placenta and that very few studies have been done on this topic and therefore there is very limited information. We have seen 2 doctors and hope to go to a third but we are getting conflicting information. Is anyone else going through this or have any insight on this topic?

Yeah, lots of Doctors are short with their words, and just want you in and out of their office to get to their next patient. When I saw my Orthopedic doctor for the 1st time (i had seen 2 prior, the 1st said I was to young and would not operate on me, the 2nd was super nice, took the time to talk to me and get to know my situation and where I was coming from, but was not directly in my provider list, so I would have had to pay 50% of my bill after deductible, rather i went with a DR in my network and only pay 20% after my deductible) anyways... the surgeon i picked was well known and people have said that I was lucky to have him perform my operation, and that he is one of the best. So long as he was good at his profession and had a good rep. of himself, it really didn't matter how much he talked with me, I did most of my correspondence with his lead nurse who knew all my info and was with me from the beginning of my visits.
It is now April 6, 2007, my wound is healing great, I still suffer with limited moton, it feels as if things have not changed since before the surgery. i still cannot tie my shoe, put on socks or pantyhose, if it weren't for my great husband that I married 6 and 1/2 months ago, I do not know where I would be now. I just know things will get better with my mobility, it will just take a few more months.
P.S... take advantage of the mobility carts at the stores, kinda fun, and kinda embarrassing, just be sure you are with someone, makes it less uncomfortable for yourself.

to the 30-yr old Michelle.

I am in exactly the same situation as you! I am 30, and in need of hip resurfacing. I thought the difficult decision was when to opt for surgery and when I couldn't cope with the pain and restricted movement anymore I went back to my surgeon and only then did he say about the problems with pregnancy.

I have been lookking at the research and basically there is NOTHING on the actual risk. I really want the resurfacing op over the total hip replacement with ceramic head because of the increased activity and unrestricted movement you can have after the resurfacing. I can't get anyone to give me professional advice either. My surgeon will do the op but only if I am sure of the risks and take responsibility for any metal ion side effects. My local obstetrics dept know nothing about this sort of thing, and there are NO case reports on the internet.

I am truly stumped. But definitely cannot continue with this pain, let alone with a pregnancy on top. Please let me know where you're at with this.

KJ

Hi KJ-
I am so sorry to hear that you are going through the same thing I am. I know how stressful it is and what a difficult decision it can be. After talking to my orthopedic surgeon and my ob-gyn we have decided to do the ceramic hip replacement in February. My doctor seems to think that this is the best option especially since I want to have children. My husband and I both decided that the risk was too great with the resurfacing and even though there are no reported incidents there just isn't enough information out there.

Everyday I have different emotions about having the surgery but unfortunately my hip keeps getting worse and I really just want to get back to some kind of normalcy without all the pain.

Have you made any decisions or discovered any additional research on hip surfacing?

Thanks-
Michele

I had neck surgery over 2 yrs ago and I am a mess! I honestly think the pain is worse now than before.
I also went to a top rated surgeon that failed to mention all of the possible risk involved with my surgery. Needless to say I feel as though he let me down as a proffesional.
Though I know our surgeries are/were different they still both involve a vital part of our bodies. Your hip movement is just as important as my neck movement. I have been to through everything imaginable post surgery to try to get movement back. All attempts have failed. I am in extreme pain all of the time and still have to take pain meds.
My advice to you is to find a doctor that will sit down and give you all the facts about this surgery. ASK all the pro's and con's (believe me there are ususally more than surgeons will tell you!).
Do internet research. Find out what material they are going to use to put in your hip. Go to the manufacteror's web site and read about it.
You may even check out the FDA's web site to see if any complaints have been listed with the type of material the surgeon wants to use.
Then after you have done that make sure the surgeon uses the type of material they said they were going to.
My surgeon first told me he was going to use titanium. Imagine my surprise when after the surgery I discovered I had a plate that would disolve, totally different then what I thought I was going to have.
This plate had just been approved, at the time, by the FDA. I know new is suppose to be better but often it's not.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

I am 25 yrs old and am 4 months post op from hip replacement, i am very young and had no complications as a child, i have two children and now am expecting my 3rd, it is very hard but my life has dramatically changed for the good, and i dont regret anything, the doctors have informed me there is no proven risk to the baby only to me!!!

FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR. you should be able to talk to your doctor about EVERYTHING..you should have 100% confidence and faith in your doctor and what he''/she's doing for you.NOT to be rude but your doctor sounds like as ass..well im not 30 but i am 18 i had a hip replacement when i was 16. i went through 4 surgeons before i found the right one for me and a doctor that i agree with...many doctors had a problem with me having my hip done at 16..but it was the only choice i had..i wasn't having fusion thats for sure...it took 2 years to find find my surgeon but im so great full for what he has done for me he changed my life. Now i can do all the things an 18 year old should be doing..(to an extent of course there are a lot of things i love that i can't do any more but i got over it...life is so much better now...Me and my surgeon are great friends i see him often and email a lot. he likes staying in touch because im the youngest person he's done a hip replacement on so he's monitoring my progress closely..The Only thing im scared about in this whole situation is how long my hip is going to last and how many more hip replacements can i have.???
Thanks for letting me spill my guts :-D

GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING...

I am 32 yrs old and am too have pain in my left hip. I have always been told that I would need a hip replacement in my thirties as a result of 4 operations as a child to correct congenital hip dislocation. I am currently in the process of finding a consultant that I can relate to (as many of you have mentioned this is not always easy) and am also worried about the prospect of having more children.

The only positive I would give to anyone worried about the prospect of carrying a baby while in pain from your hip is that I have had 2 pregnancies and found the hip pain actually eased significantly during pregnancy. I think it was potentially due to the hormone relaxin released to relax joints but this has never been backed up scientifically. The pain returned after birth but had not progressed as far as I can tell. I have always been told that weight gain during pregnancy could add to the pressure on the pelvic area and thus exacerbate the problem but again I did not find this and I was huge in the last trimester. I was told previously that there was nothing that could be done until after having children but it was never explained to me about the metal ion release you describe and I thank you for this advice.

I am extremely wary of all doctors and totally agree that research should be done to put the surgeon on their guard and not treat you in a patronising manner. I have lots of experience with medical legal issues and realise to that you only get what you want if you are assertive and basically tell doctors what you want.

Best wishes

Pam Davie
Glasgow

i am a 20 year old who has avascular necrosis and i am looking into a hip replacement for the pain. can anyone tell me how the recovery process was? how long did it take for you to go back to normal activities? i want to make sure i will be able to bike, swim and hike still after surgery.

i turned 15 in december and i'm having a hip replacement in april ... so your not really under the average age :-)

My Names Lydia And I Have No Left Hip Pretty Muchh And I Had My Hip Replaced Whn I Was !3 And !4 Now And I Am Loving Life I Went On Holiday And Walked Alonh The Beach For The First Time Ever Without Being Pushed In A WheelChair Or Being Cariied All By Myself And \With No Pain !!!
:D
Everything Will Go Well For You I Promiss :D

Hi to all who have posted on this topic,

To keep this short but informative; I'm 31 and was born with hip displaysia which was discovered when I was 25. I've had both hips operated on to try to correct them but proved to be unsuccessful only giving me a few years of pain free walking.

After much thought and pain I decided to have my right hip replaced a few months ago and now 5 weeks post op I am pain free and able to enjoy my first walk with my husband. My consultant is looking to do the left hip this year which I am glad so I can get on with my life.

Its good to know that I'm not the only young person with this problem but my advice is to go for the THR if you can't cope with the pain as it will truely improve your life.

My husband and I are hoping to try for a family when both hips are strong and I believe this was the best decision for us.