I had blood test done recently and was told that my thyroid level is low. I was put on a medication called synthroid. Does having a low thyroid level make you extremely hungry, because for the past 3 or so months, I have been waking up at 6:00 a.m. starving? I have never had such extreme hunger pains before and I feel as if I’ll be sick if I don't get up and eat right then. I have never been a morning eater at least not until about 10:00. I have gained about 12 lbs. I am desperate!!!

When your thyroid function is low your metabolism is also low, so it is hard to lose any weight that you gain. I have been taking levoxyl, but I started at 25, am now up to 175mcg 5 days a week and 200 mcg 2 days a week. Sometimes I am extremely hungry and other I have not appetite. When I am in my hungry phase I feel as I am burning though my food much faster. I could eat a normal meal and feel full and about 30minutes later and sometimes less, feel completely hungry again. I have gained 22lbs in the last year. The weight gain started before my diagnosis. It was one factor that leads to me seeing a doctor. Make sure you let your doctor know about the concern you have with your weight gain. My initial weight gain was only 10lbs and I thought that would be the peak of it and once on medication I would start to lose again but I didn't. I have continued to gain weight.

my doctor told me i have thyroid when i was 19 is been a lots of up and downs for .When the doctor told me i have the high thyroid in felt in good shape i could eating ant thing but the last blood test my thyroid level has gone up at 6.4 and i gain about 20 pounds.