HI,

I am a singer i am feeling tightness in my throat for about 2 and half years.I have consulted many ENTs but i did not find a solution for this so far.Some doctors said it is acid reflux (i took all the medicine but nothing happened),some said it is allergy(I took medicine,spray etc. too but nothing happened.My vocal chords are perfect (A doctor had viewed it).There is nothing big problem.Some said it is anxiety and told to do Yoga,meditation etc. I do it but still have this problem.

My problems are as follows-
1-It appears my throat is tight.The tightness is below vocal chords.
2-It appears my throat is not opening properly.I am not feeling openness in my throat.
3-I get difficulties when sing high notes.

I would like to tell that when i got this problem there was swelling in my vocal chords but it got right.
My singing practice was a little bit wrong for about one month too at that time but it is right now.
I have got anxiety problem too but i deal with it.I am very sensitive about my throat.I do not want any problem in it.
My voice never got changed.

I just want to remove the tightness and fell openness in my throat that was available before this problem.

Please advice.

Thanks!

HI there, it is anxiety. I know that's the issue because I have the same issue when I sing, and that's why you are having difficulty. You have to attack this issue psychologically Have oyu considered therapy for this?

healthnfitnessguy wrote:

No friend.I did not took any therapy for this because i do not know the exact reason.

If this is anxiety,which type of doctor will helpP

Well, if it's anxiety then it's best that you talk to a psychologist. That's someone who will be able to help you more than anything. In sports, this is known as getting the 'yips' and it does help to go to a psychologist. Would you be willing to do that?

healthnfitnessguy wrote:

I can go for sure.

I am thinking of a laryngoscopy too.I have heard that it will make sure if there is a problem.

Hi onliner, I think that it's likely as well that your problem may be psychological, but the laryngoscopy would be a good idea to make sure tehre's no physical issue. Can you let us know how that goes for you? Thanks!

Try taking Dramamine or anything containing dimenhydrinate and diphenhydramine as it will have a mild sedative and anti-histamine influence which could give you some relief and an idea as to how to approach your self-diagnosis before seeking the appropriate medical attention.

IF it's acid reflux.....have a gastroscopy. INSIST

I can relate as singing is my hobby but with so much hell from 2010-2013 four years worth of tragic events and pushing myself without rest has taken its toll. First I started toget panic attacks three years ago which I never had and scared the hell out of me. Still pushing myself helping my partner with her stress and a multitude of hours work daily looking after a menagery of pets I then started to get Anxiety symtoms a year later. The worst was and still is the lump-in-the-throat sensation! I thought panic attacks were bad but looking back for me they lasted 30-40 mins and then calmness returned with no major symptoms.

I didn't know what was going on but after many visits to the doctor, annual ENT check ups and many other professionals talking things over result always Anxiety. Apart from many other symptoms the tightness in the throat is by far the worst! As of now the near constant dry, burning Tight throat has got worse lately but my doctor keeps saying Anxiety with throat condition termed 'Globus Hystericus'.

With no improvement even with meds I must get another ENT check even though I was checked 6 months ago with everything fine then.

If anyone has improved their throat tightness, especially the original poster; onliner, I would like to hear how you improved or how you are still coping.

I was wondering how you have been with your plight which is similar to mine? I posted my story below… WannaLoosen
Thanks