Hey everyone, If i'm able to get advice or even an answer on here that points me in the right direction i will be happy as i really have no where to turn.

Last month i had a strain of swine flu, i lost my voice for a few days and then spent about 3 weeks coughing afterwards. I returned to work on January 6th after christmas, i work in a call centre. Following my return to work my throat just felt dreadful, felt initially very tight, ver tired and worn out and i thought nothing of it passing it off as Globus and a stress issue which i have suffered from before, it felt very similar. Come my second shift back i ended up having to go home because i felt completely exhausted, as if i couldn't talk and my throat was stinging it felt like a pill was stuck in it, was constant burning, i was awake most of the night with it. I wasn't pain as such, more so severe burning and stinging sensation. I went to the doctors the following day and she signed me off from work asking me to have vocal rest, i spent 3 weeks off work and in this time my voice went completely and then came back again and slowly recovered to the point where i could talk and start singing in tune again (i am a singer and a recording artist) but i spent 95% of those 3 weeks in almost total silence with maybe a maximum of 5 minutes talking per day when needed and absolutely no singing at all whatsoever. The symptoms relieved slightly but never completely. Recently i have used my voice abit more for talking, but still i am not in work and i am not singing. Im talking for perhaps 15 minutes per day in total maybe just abit less than that, but i have a constant burning in my throat, anytime i speak in any kind of high pitch my vocal chords feel like there scratching together and just feel dreadful.

I have been to ENT who looked down my throat during an endoscopy, asked me to sing some notes and there results were negative, he advised no bruising, no nodules, no noticeable swelling etc etc I worried because stupidly earlier in the day i had taken a high dose of naproxen and ibuprofen which are anti inflammatries so i worried these would change the results but after calling the ENT DR back he confirmed they wouldn't have had an effect on results and he could have seen if there was an issue regardless, this put my mind at ease.. but here i am still with an issue!

This is my 4th week now, im going back to the doctor tomorrow but i just really need to check whether bad vocal strain can really last this long... because it seems crazy, i've heard it lasting about a week or 2 but 4 weeks?

Reason i'm posting on this forum is i have alot of radio interviews, big gigs to do in march and i don't want to have to cancel these events a few days before or even a week before, if this is strain and i can't do these events i'd rather cancel well in advance so im not viewed as unreliable within the music buisness.

I'm starting to wonder whether my symptoms could be related to maybe acid reflux or a secondry infection perhaps? my current symptoms are scratchy feeling in throat mainly when talking or singing but sometimes when doing neither, burning sensation in mouth and back of throat usually worse before bed and better immediately after eating and burning in larynx and more recently a horrible taste in my mouth in the morning.

not sure whats wrong, i have the Drs tomorrow but i just hope someone here can advise me on what you think is best to do for someone whos both careers in the call centre and as a singer rely on my voice.

hope someone can help me!

thanks so much in advance! :-)

This sounds a lot like what ive been dealing with for the past two months... I have no idea whats going on, I've been to the Dr. and an ENT last week, taken antibiotics, steroids, and various anti-inflammatory meds. I'm starting to think its some sort of sever tonsilitis. I want to get them removed, but am really worried it will effect my voice negitavely. Let me know if you ever figured it out..

Hi I hope you cured your throat problem it sounds very similar to my wifes illness. I was wondering if you did get to the bottom of the problem and
if you had any advice for her to ease the symptoms thanks

Got my tonsils out... aside from the shitty recovery period of 3 weeks, it was totally worth it. I feel much better now, fully recovered and I dont miss them, no more sore throat or losing my voice at all