Can anyone give me the definition of vasculitis? It seems to me that there are so many different types of vasculitis around and they are all so very different that they seem to have little to nothing in common. This confuses me. Just what is the common characteristic of all type of vasculitis?

Vasculitis is disease that is caused by inflammation of blood vessels. This inflammation causes changes in the walls of blood vessels, like thickening, weakening, narrowing and scarring. There are so many types of vaculitis because it can affect almost any blood vessel and cause so different changes, but the cause is always the same. Vasculitis can be short term or long term and can be so severe that the tissues and organs supplied by the affected vessels don't get enough blood so that organs which that vessel supplies also don’t get enough nutrients to the point they are damaged which than can even be lethal.