I am 47 years old and I have to deal with depression now. As if divorce and constant job changing is not enough, I have that too now. Since I am not that interested in pills, I would like to know if there is some sort of therapy that might help me. Is cognitive behavioral therapy helpful in dealing with depression?

I do know that this type of therapy is usually effective with depression. It is used not only for adults, but for children and teenagers too. The interesting part is that it does not last very long. Actually, the end comes after only 10 or 20 sessions. Sometimes this figure is even shorter, if the development is strong enough.

Celebrity
It's the best thing I ever did for myself. Join a CBT group or read some CBT books like the one by Sam Obitz and start doing the thought countering exercise called the TEA form and learn to think more objectively and feel a lot better soon. CBT is tough early on but once you get it it pays dividends for the rest of your life and it is the most effective treatment for anxiety, panic and depression.

Celebrity
Faber, did you ever give CBT a try?
I hope you have and i hope it is helping you :-D

CBT is the best. Highly recommended!

Celebrity
I agree jaylene !

I think it important to mention that with CBT you get out of it what you put into it, so you control how much relief you achieve. If you are motivated to get better it is the best treatment available. It's not a miracle cure, you have to work at it, but the benefits are worth all the work and they come fairly quickly.

Celebrity
No question you are right about this Jaylene :!: If you are willing to work on the tea form everyday you are sure to get results, but if you only do it occasionally you are wasting your time :(

Celebrity
Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and one with better skills to manage your anxieties :-)

Gotta agree about CBT and the TEA forms. They really work if you work at them!

Celebrity
I received a note from the moderator asking me to write an article here on CBT and how it worked for me. I don't have the details yet, but look for it here in the near future and I hope it is helpful to some of you out there :-D

Celebrity
Quick update for anyone who is interested. I am going to try and finish my CBT article by the end of this month :-)

Celebrity
The article got finished so look for it in the near future on here. I hope it is helpful to some of you guys :-D

Celebrity
Quick update. I have not heard when the article will be posted yet. The mod told me she would contact me when it goes up and I will come back and let everyone know when that happens.

Celebrity
Thanks for the back-up Annie. I hope you are doing well :D