I am a 30 yr. old female. Over the past few months, I have slipped into a depression. For the past month, I've been experiencing chronic lightheadedness. I have no vertigo, just a general feeling of being off balance, most of the time. I've had a CT scan, MRI, bloodwork, chest x-ray...alll of which have come back normal. Is it possible that depression could be causing this constant lightheadedness?

Erin

Do not feel alone as I have the same thing you have for a year now and it drives me crazy as well

I have oonstant lightheadedness 24/7. I got all the tests done and all were negative and told it was from anxiety and depression

I am taking anti-anziety pills (klonopin) and depression pills (lexapro) but they still not working

I was laying on the couch for a year and just wanted to die

The best thing for you to do is fight it. Go out even though you feel dizzy. I find if I go out with my husband I feel somewhat better. It is when I stay home it gets worse

p.m. or email me anytime

Portia

Am new to this forum and just saw Portia17's reply about "fighting lightheadedness" and that it got worse when staying indoors.

I can echo that. I work in London but have also worked from home thinking I can relax within my own environment as a treatment for my lightheadedness. How wrong I was. BUT as soon as I stepped out the front door, within an hour of feeling cooler air hitting my face, I felt much better. Staying at home, feeling sorry for yourself will not help you as I found out. As long as you can move around fight it. Believe you can lead a normal life. It does help, even if it is for a short period of time each day, then you're winning.

RB

i am lightheaded everyday now for about a couple mouths. sometimes i have my good days and other days i dont. lately i have been feeling really down and really lightheaded. im not sure what to do. sometimes i just want to die to not feel like problem but then i think i have great people in my life. but i neeeed so help !

ive suffered wit depression for 6 months wen i forst found out i thought it was just anxiety someting of nothing but got diagnosed with depression .. makes me feel lightheaded and tired scared to go out because of felling lightheaded 24/7 i think its just me going through this.. people always tell me if i go out i will get better but i think to myslef i wont .. i havent been out for the 6 months ive had it but even when im sat down i feel off balance.. sometimes i just feel so out of it.. just wish everything would be back to normal so i can live my life like a normal 18 year old would ...xhea

Hi.

Could you please how u r feeling now. As I am also feeling same way please tell me your diagnosis details.

Erin; Your story is the same exact situation my wife has had for the past 5 years. She has suffered from lightheadedness 24/7 never a let up. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being terrible, she ranges between 5 and 10. She has had every concievable testing, been to many ENT's, had all kinds of therophy, taken all kinds of meds all with none making an impact. She was recently tested and dianosed at Yale New Haven and was found to be suffering from depression. They perscribed Mirtazapine which after the second dose completly worsened her LH to an unbearable state. As I am writing this I am waiting for a call from Yale to advise them of this. They also told her to stop the wine and to get off of Diazapam for they are both depressants. The Mirtazapine is part of the Tetracyclic family of drugs. We both have compassion for you knowing the nightmare you are living. Your listing was made a year ago. Perhaps you are well again now. If you are, please tell us how you did it.

Get well soon;  Mike @ Angie 

Hello, I am writing because I'd like to help, as 6 months ago, I spent so much time looking for help.  I also suffered from lightheadedness 24/7, which continued until about 2 months ago.  It started with a dizzy spell at work where I thought I was going to faint and from then on, I did not feel normal.  I was so lightheaded I did not feel like I was in my body.  I do feel normal now but it was a long, challenging journey.  I have two young kids and a full-time job and it was so hard to function normally.  I also went through many doctors including an ENT, got my vision tested, bloodwork, got an MRI, got a CT scan.  One doctor even reported me to Driver's Licensing and I lost my license for 2 months, and still have to produce a medical report next October.

Anyway, in the end it was diagnosed as "anxiety", although I truly believe I have "chronic subjective dizziness".  I encourage you to look it up.  The treatment is the same as anxiety, so it is likely anxiety-related.  I am on 7.5mg/day of Cipralex (Lexapro in the US) as well as taking Cognitive Behaviour Therapy once a month.  The treatment is a low dose of SSRIs, which is a class of antidepressant that also treats anxiety.  It took me a while to take the meds and then even get to where I am now, but I am so thankful.  I also did relaxation videos on YouTube and did vestibular rehabilitation on YouTube.  However, I think it is the medication that made the difference.  Sometimes I feel overly tired and I'm not sure if it's related, but I would much rather be tired than lightheaded.

I just wanted to share and help, because it was probably the most difficult time in my life.  I am so afraid of returning to that state, so I wish you all the best and hope my advice helps somewhat.  My thoughts are with you!

Hello I'm a 36 year old female with no prior illnesses or history. I was/am desperate for help for I have been feeling lightheaded/off balance symptoms that have been consistent since Sept of 2012 until now. They seem to have gotten worse these past couple weeks. I have fallen into a depression and I'm not getting answer from my primary physician or a few (about 5) cardiologist I have been seen by. I insist it's related to my heart since I started feeling these symptoms after a had heart arrhythmia occur during my baseball game. My cardiologist are almost sure it's not related to my heart but have not ruled it out. When I'm laying down it's not as obvious but I know it's there. When I'm in a sitting poison then it becomes obvious. When I stand it starts to get worse. When I begin to walk it is at it's worse stage and I begin to feel VERY off balance and I begin to get really bad anxiety cause I'm afraid I'm going to stumble or collapse. I have done numerous test MRI and cat scan of my brain (normal) blood work (normal) ekg (normal) holter monitor (normal) treadmill test (normal) I am so desperate for answers/help that I am reaching out to anyone that could help. I have lived a drug free life for 35 years (my age) and have never done anything to put my health in danger which makes it even more depressing. It's not how I want to live because my condition seems to get worse. I work 5 days 8 hour shifts but it seems like I'm working 12 hours cause my days seem so long. I count the minutes till I'm off so I could rush to get home and lay in bed. On my days off (weekends) I'm in my room laying in bed cause I dread the feeling of having to stand/walk and feeling this ALL the time! I can't even say some days are better than others cause this has been consistent for over a year. PLEASE, PLEASE help:/

Correction to Jaime_G1207 I'm a 36 year old MALE

d@daCould be too much computers or phone games affecting your eyes n balance

I have started to experience 24-7 lightheadedness for the past 6 months now. It all started in April when I felt this wierd feeling come over and every day over and over again it doesn't go away. Anxiety makes it worse it seems like and it can be unbearable at times. Sometimes i just want to sleep all day because it is so bad. I have been taking Gabapenton and they seem to help a little bit with the lightheadness but sometimes they make it worse. Does it ever go away and is it a symptom of anxiety and depression because I got my ear checked and irrigated, MRI, CAT scan, blood work and chest x-ray and everything is ok.

Is there a medicine out there that can fight this? Surely there is because it is getting bad for me and been going for 6 months now.

Hi Dp, I don't know if you will get this as your post on lightheadedness ws over a year ago. I went out drinking and woke up the same. 24/7 lightheadedness dizzy but absolutely no vertig. I didn't worry about it at all and it went within 2 weeks! I then went out drinking again and it returned. This time a little worse and so my anxiety spiralled out of control! I've been on citalopram (celexa) for 12 days now and having all the usual side effects which are starting to pass but I wondered how long you were on you anti depressant before the lightheadedness started to subside? Any info greatly appreciated. Glad you made it back to normal by the way. Well done!

Hi, how long were you on the cipralex before.It started to work? many thanks.

Thank.s for the wonderful info..can u tell h ow long u took antidepressants??