I have heard some people had problem with urethra. When I wanted to read more about this part of human body, I found something interesting. They said male and female had different urethra. I want to hear more about that, could it be true. I would appreciate if you could tell me more about urethra, and its difference between males and females.

The urethra is a tube, which connects the urinary bladder to the outside of the body. I guess you already read the urethra has an excretory function in both sexes to pass urine to the outside. This part of human body has also a reproductive function in the male, as a passage for sperm. Interesting is to know that external urethral sphincter is a smooth muscle that allows voluntary control over urination. I guess you would like to know that men have a longer urethra than women do. This means that women tend to be more susceptible to infections of the bladder and the urinary tract. The length of a male's urethra, and the fact it contains a number of bends makes catheterization more difficult then in women. Important is to know that, in human female, the urethra is about 2.5-4 cm long and opens in the vulva between the clitoris and the vaginal opening. In the human male, the urethra is about 20 cm long and opens at the end of the penis. Those are some basic info about male and female urethra, if you want more ask your doctor or get a book.