My father is in the hospital few days already. He was diagnosed with hypertrophy of prostate and probably he is going to surgery operation. We get used to that, but last time that I visited him doctor told something that upset me. He said my father will came home, but with Foley catheter. I would like to know more about it, to be prepared when he came.

Foley catheter is thin, sterile tube that is inserted into bladder to drain urine. Beside name Foley, it is known as indwelling catheter too, because it can be left in place in the bladder for a period of time. It is held in place with a balloon at the end which is filled with sterile water to hold it in the place. Urine drains into a bag and can be taken from an outlet device to be drained. Laboratory tests can be conducted on urine to look for possible infection blood, muscle breakdown, crystals, electrolytes, and kidney function. Procedure where Foley catheter is inserted is called catheterization. It is used in urine retention that leads to urinary hesitancy, straining to urinate, decrease in size and force of the urinary steam etc. Important is to mention and obstruction of urethra by an anatomical condition that makes difficulties urinating, such as prostate hypertrophy, prostate cancer, or narrowing of the urethra. Foley catheter is sometimes used with nerve related bladder dysfunction, such as after spinal trauma. That is situation when Foley catheter may be inserted regularly to assist with urination.