First of all, I'm female.
This all began about 5 years ago when I was only about 14 and at first it wasn't an orgasm that caused these problems. I would awake with a strange tingly feeling and even though my bladder was full, all of a sudden the feeling of urgency to use the bathroom would disappear but I would go to the bathroom, knowing I had to go (I always have a full bladder in the morning) but strangely, I could not urinate. If I pushed, I could get a small amount of urine out at a time. Afterwards, I would have what I can only describe as a type of dull pain and discomfort in my lower abdominal area, usually on either the left or right side but sometimes the entire region, and corresponding lower back pain. I would also have slight incontinence(not too bad though). This would go on for a day and then everything would go back to normal. I went to the doctor the first time this happened and they seemed puzzled. I had a UTI test done and an ultrasound to see if there was urine in the bladder (of course, at this time, I had been able to push most of it out so the ultrasound didn't do much, I think). They didn't find anything and I didn't look further into it because I thought it may be a one time thing. It ended up happening quite a few times over the following years but since the after effects only lasted a day, I was foolish and would always let it go.

Now, I am starting to notice that this happens after I orgasm (not from actual sex, just from masturbation) and the after effects last even longer. It happened once and all the symptoms lasted a couple days. It happened a second time and it lasted an entire four days. The next time I orgasmed it happened again (today) and I'm not sure how long it will last this time. This leads me to believe that it is now happening every time I orgasm. What is really most distressing to me is that I'm normally a person who urinates pretty frequently and it's always a decent flow. When this happens, I'm not urinating nearly as frequently and every time I get up to go, everything feels blocked up and the flow is so light. I feel uncomfortable and have little pains all day. I plan on going to the doctor for this and probably being referred to a specialist (a urologist, I assume?) but I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what this could be. I thought maybe a hormone problem if it's happening after I orgasm but..I don't really know. :-(

Hi! Urinary retention is the inability to empty the bladder. With chronic urinary retention, you may be able to urinate, but you have trouble starting a stream or emptying your bladder completely. Urinary retention can be caused by an obstruction in the urinary tract or by nerve problems that interfere with signals between the brain and the bladder. If the nerves aren’t working properly, the brain may not get the message that the bladder is full. Even if you know that your bladder is full, the bladder muscle that squeezes urine out may not get the signal that it is time to push, or the sphincter muscles may not get the signal that it is time to relax. A weak bladder muscle can also cause retention. Many events or conditions can damage nerves and nerve pathways. Some of the most common causes are: vaginal childbirth, infections of the brain or spinal cord, diabetes, stroke, accidents that injure the brain or spinal cord, multiple sclerosis, heavy metal poisoning, pelvic injury or trauma. Infections cause swelling and irritation, or inflammation. A urinary tract infection (UTI) may cause retention if the urethra becomes inflamed and swells shut. A stone formed anywhere in the urinary tract may become lodged in the bladder. If the stone is large enough, it can block the opening to the urethra like a bathtub plug.

Another possiblity: Interstitial cystitis. Inflammation of the Urinary Bladder Wall. MayoClinic.com has a lot of information just go thru their tabs on the related topics. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/interstitial-cystitis/DS00497

I agree with the person about the Interstitial Cystitis. I have this disease and its plagued my life. Sometimes I have to urinate up to 50-60 times a day. Horrible pains. Especially after ejaculation. I'm a male. The inside of the bladder gets hard and rigid and has lots of sore looking blood spots all around the inside. If you do have it. It has varying degrees of how bad it can be. I'm at the point know where my Doctors want to tie off my ureters and l give me a stoma that I would have to drain from. Not fun stuff. I'm also on all kinds of pain meds and anti anxiety medications. Just to ease the pain a bit. Good luck. Scott