Many symptoms over 3 years, MRI in 2008 was clear but could I still have brain tumour
Hello, please help, 42 year old male. About 3 years ago, I started having numbness in my left arm and hand that would wake me up in the middle of the night. My first thought was a possible heart problem, and although my cholestorol is borderline high, the doctors said there was no immediate threat as long as I made changes to my diet.
Over the following 3 years, these numbness episodes came and went. In March 2008, I had an MRI on my head and neck and no problems were found. The doctor thought it might be something to do with a nerve in my neck, but a series of x rays and tests have founf nothing there.
In September this year, the episodes became more frequent and more severe - both arms and hands crippled when waking up in the middle of the night, taking several seconds to shake them back into life. I started having pains and a squeezing sensation in the sides of my chest, palpatations, and severe pains in my shoulder blades. During the day, my shoulder blades and arms would often ache. More heart tests were done, but again, nothing found, ECGs etc. Just more advice to watch my diet.
December 3rd this year, I started having headaches. These would be all over my head, sometimes on the top, sometimes at the back, the sides, even the base of the skull. I also started having shooting pains in the right side of my head during the day, that last a second or so. And I kept waking up with numbness in both arms and now also leg cramps.

2 nights ago, I awoke at 3.30am with a terrible headache, it felt the whole front of my face was throbbing. I took an ibuprofen tablet to calm it down, but I had a headache (mainly at the back of my head) all day yesterday. This morning was worse than ever. I couldn't get to sleep, every time I lay down the headache would get worse, and also, I'd feel twitching sensation in my right leg and arm, not like a fit, just one twitch each time I felt myself dozing off, to wake me up. And it felt like my whole body was throbbing. I still feel achey now, at the base of my skull.

I'm also suffering pain behind my eyes, particularly my right eye, and 'floating shapes' when I look at a white screen or wall, or even a white cloudy sky or snow. The Doctor just says I need my eyes testing, I may need new glasses, as I use PCs and screens for work 10 hours a day. This started the same day as the headaches.

Doctors say 'no, this isn't a brain tumour', and want to do more x-rays on my neck, because they say I have bad posture. But everything I read online suggests symptoms of brain tumour. This week I have started feeling nauseous, have missed evening meal 4 times in 7 nights because I just can't face food.

My problem is this, if I had mild forms of this arm paralysis 3 years ago, and an MRI showed no tumours, could the worsening of this, and further symptoms, mean that there was something that they missed, which has now grown too big to ignore?

I made the original post as a guest, I forgot to mention that during the last three weeks of headaches, I have also felt a kind of pressure and popping in my ears, mainly the right one, as if there is earwax in it, but there is none.

Get a PET scan.

You are also a very tense person. Try to do what you did with arms/legs at night. Shake all limbs one at a time first quick and gentle and then slowly increase vigor. Most if the symtoms could be from you freeking out fill time. Also glaring at the screen and constant fiddling with keyboard(10hrs aday!) is a killer for some type of people, attempt to be reasigned or change occupation otherwise you could be marching yourself into something or awakening something even more undesirable, unnecessarely...

You are also a very tense person. Try to do what you did with arms/legs at night. Shake all limbs one at a time first quick and gentle and then slowly increase vigor. Most if the symtoms could be from you freeking out full time. Also glaring at the screen and constant fiddling with keyboard(10hrs aday!) is a killer for some type of people, attempt to be reasigned or change occupation otherwise you could be marching yourself into something or awakening something even more undesirable, and unnecessary...

Do u have an answer to your problems yet.I have all these issues as well as others. Ive been having them sence i was 15 im now 36. Do to no ins. For so long i dont know where to start. Its gotten worse over the years and im cant do much cause itz so distressing. I do suspect a neck issues cause i cant move without pain everywhere!

New Hope

Could they have missed something? Well, yes. The images are "slices" of your brain and it's possible to miss structures that are smaller than 5 mm. But there are also many, many other explanations for the symptoms you are describing here--and I hope it's something much more benign and treatable.