A few years ago (I think when I was 13/14 I am now 17) I started twitching and doing like a head jerk type thing, then (along with the twitching) I started making grunting noises and clearing my throat, now (still twitching) I do like a huffing kinda sound sometimes its really quiet but other times it’s really loud, and occasionally I click my tongue. My parents tell me to stop it and that I need to get out of the ‘habit’ and look at me in a weird way when they see or hear me doing it, so of course I try and stop doing but when I try and stop I get this like weird horrible feeling/sensation and the only way to get rid of that feeling is to let it out which of course it comes out worse because I have held it in sometimes I don’t realize im doing it, it seems to be worse when im stressed or even when im in public, when im on my own it’s not as bad, when I am really relaxed it hardly happens.
Last year it did seem to disappear for about 3 months then came back.
No one else in my family has it or has had it as far as im aware.
I haven’t been to any doctors or anything as im scared.

So what do you think could I have tourette’s?

Thank You.

hey wasup man

i know how you feel with this one i too have the same problem when i just wanna do things like head jerks and shake my shoulders to get rid of the weird sensation feelings. I used too make clicking sounds with my tongue and my parents thought it was weird so i got rid of it i dunt know how but it was just gone..Now my main problem is head jerking twitching my arms and eye blinking...I used to roll my eyes too but i got rid of it too some how..I went to the doctor and they think its related with panic and anxiety so they gave meds everytime i twitch it leads to panic attacks so everytime i drink lorazapam 1mg i get relax and my habit seems to go away for a abit. Sometimes all i wanna do is stay home because of this habit its ruining my life.....so yeah ur not alone with this weird feeling man...peace im outs man and if u wanna talk about it still just contact me

its such a relief to read your message kizza. i thought i was the only person to do it...
ive been doin it for as far back as i rememeber..maybe about since i was 12. i am now 20. my twitches change and i if i manage to get rid of one another one replaces it. i have had a blinking problem,wrists twisting,groan in my throat, nose twitching, and the latest ones that are the worst, head twitching, arms, and legs! i just cant stop myself and its such an embarrassment. i get the same wierd feeling when i try and stop myself from doing it, which like you say, only goes when i let myself do the twitch.
without being over the top, i am a good looking young girl, with a job and live with my boyfriend so it really lets me down. im embarrassed to meet new people or go out alot of the time as i worry about people laughing at me, which im sure they do.
my mum and friends have always tried to stop me from doing it, but i find it nearly impossible. i have been prompted to go to the doctors by my mum but if im honest im embarrased! she has always said its a form of tourettes and ive always shrugged it off! but after seeing your article...im now worried!!
have you seen the doctor?? do you know of anything to stop it??

omg ive so relieved to find this! ive been going ot my mind because of my twitches!
Recently they have gotten worse and i just want rid of them,
they all started with me when i was 16 at high school i used to have one or two and then they seemed to dissapear for a while.
Now im 24 and they seem to have returned with avengence! They have become almost unbearable!

i used to get the usual eye twitching, hand arm leg feet twitches, but they arent that bad, its the facial twitches that i cant cope with!
I feel so self conscious of them...my head tends to feel weird alot, almost heavy? i try to ignore it but it doesnt work and at times makes the next one worse.

My head just jolts to one side, and also i find that if i drop things my mouth decides it wants in on the action too and tht twitches too.

Im going to see my gp soon and i feel i should mention this.
Having been before with anxiety/depression an other things i feel im just going on an on and i feel really embarassed to even mention it... i dont even no what to say? :-(

any advice x

it made me feel so good when i found this. im 19 years old and ive been twitching for a few years now it came out of nowhere and would stop for a little and come back just as hard or harder. i thought i was the only one who had it. i jerk my arms out and my head and i also click my tongue, but i could develop any twitch if it felt right i suppose. i flex my midsection and it makes it hard for me to breath because im to into my twitches. i think it weird/ bizarre because i am almost positive i dont have tourettes. i went to the doctors a year ago and he said it was anxiety, he prescribed me fluoxetine which didnt help, one medicine that really helped me to feel absolutely normal within 10 minutes of taking was adderall(think thats how to spell it) its a medicine for ADHD but it made me supper inventive and productive and i dont think i really twitched that whole day, and i ussually twitch a lot . i was not prescribed to it but i was diagnosed with ADHD when i was in like 7th grade, i did not have adhd i just didnt care about school as far as i think because in jr high and high school i was a honor roll student and i payed excellent attention. my cousin gave me a an adderall and it did fix everything. it bothers me a lot that i still twitch and it ruins my social life, it just all out gets in the way. i feel like im letting down my girlfriend because it bothers her and i say ok ill stop twitching right now, and i never have. she deals with it and only wants me to stop because its stressing me out. i think if i stay active i wont do it as much, and thats only if its not on my mind. ive been thinking swimming might help because my whole bodies active but well see. any responses are so appreciated.

I am 41 and recently found out that my twitches might not just be because of my nerves, but because of Tourettes. Like..wow! I have always had some sort of tic since I was about 8 or 9. I used to humm alot when I was a kid and couldnt really control it. I blink my eyes constantly and try and look down so I dont look too weird. It is like im trying to get my top eyelid on top of my bottom. It is so bizarre. I also twitch my nose and sniffle alot. I just say it is allergies or a post nasal drip. Im married to a great guy who never has made fun of me for it. I was telling my Mom about it yesterday and she was like..hmmmm..that is interesting. I think I might have it. I think maybe Ill go to a neuroligist and have him check it out. Glad to see Im not alone..:-)

I'm 14 and I've had twitches since I wa about 5 my mum says that it's nothing to worry about an the doctor says it's just nerves tics but I'm starting to get worried and I don't really like talking about it , when I was about 9 I had lots of tests for touretts but apparently I don't have them, not that Long ago I found a school report and under my medical problems it had suspected touretts , I get really upset to think I have touretts so I showed my mum and she said it was old letter and I don't have touretts, I get panicy when I think people think I have something wron with me but I do try to stop, ie had lots of tics that go away but I've started having head jolts and it won't stop, I'm usually stressed as our house is quite argumentative , I just want it to go away and not have nothing to worry about, please I would like some advise or someone to talk about it who has the same problem.

Omg I can't beleave that I'm not the only one that has wht ever it is but I'm scared to talk to ppl bat it or a doctor or some thing n it gets in the way of my social life n it feels like I hv to do n when I twitch it seems I hv to do it right or I'll keep doing it but anyways I hv to do it it's annoying n I'm 14 someone anyone plz just help me or give me ideas on how to stop it.

Hi Everybody,

I've had this since i was in my teens (now 40) and it was awfull, I felt like a total freak. The jaw twitching, nose twitching with sounds, troath sound, body jerking, lip smacking, finger clapping and the involuntary shoulder twitch! It had a rytym that i had to complete each time it hit me, it used to get so bad but i would have to keep doing it until I got the rythym, then it would settle down.. If i tried to hide a jerk in my jaw it would show up somewhere else like my shoulder and, if i tried to control that, it would come out as a noise or something else. you cannot stop them you have to learn to relax so they dont hit as often.

After about 10 years of having this, I saw a guy twitching and doing something similar so I approached him. He said he had tourettes and was on medication for the rest of his life. I went to a neurologist and it was confirmed i had a mild form of Tourettes

I was put on meds which i didnt get.. I didnt want to be reliant for life!. So i got st johns worth which did similar to the meds they were prescribing me and did alot of stress mgmt stuff over a few years and, I more or less got the better of it, by myself!.
I had it so controled that when it did hit it just looked like i was having a body shiver as if i was just cold.

But even when I was quite good, it was a bit of a problem when it hit, I teach exercise classes and sometimes it would hit me while teaching and it would knock me off my beat, also, when swimming, if it hit me it was quite dangerous as it affected my breathing.

Mam was ill last year and it started to come back as the multi jerks and all over my body again but mild, but, since my Mam passed a few weeks ago its has got alot worse. Sometimes it gets bad.. and it has to be that certain rythym and i have to keep doing it until i got the right rythym. Im kinda back to square one with it but I guess its just a matter of learning to relax out again.

Consoling to know im not alone :-)

im so happy im not the only one im 13 and my twitching seems to keep coming back ive got head twitching and blinking twitches there a pain and it makes me very uspet when people in my school notice it and they just say " why do you do that" "why do you blink like that " i just want to no if theres any way of getting rid of it thanks xx:-):-|;-)

I'm just reading up on this because once again i am being annoyed by a twitch. At the moment its tiny fast head jerking (as if flicking hair out my eyes although its very short) or a tiny shake of the head, someone at work asked me if i had a migraine today because they noticed me twitching as i was talking to them.

Over the years, on and off i've had all sorts of weird twitches, eye blinking, shoulder twitching, having to contract odd muscles in my body because i get a strange urge to do so, and if i don't a weird sensation that builds up until i do twich.  I had a weird one for months that made me do a sort of complete body twitch when i was sitting down to get into a position where i was more 'comfortable' although this was repetetive i.e. every 10 seconds or so sometimes, this really was very annoying when i was driving to work. I know this could be individual to me but i have been able to everytime, get rid of them. I don't think i have tourettes, or at least a mild form if i do. To rid myself of it takes vast concentration, i.e. being alone for a whole weekend hardly moving any muscles and making sure i don't twitch no matter how excruciating it becomes. I try at the same time to concentrate on ignoring the urge but also do other stuff that will be abit of a distraction like watch films, games, surf web maybe socialise at my house if i feel i am doing ok.

The head one is the hardest to do and i have put off for quite afew months dealing with it as i am getting old and lazy in life and haven't found the will to get round to dealing with my latest bout now (35, twitching since pubescence, maybe younger) so i think its deep set. One of my tricks is (over a weekend say, then more days of being absolutely on the ball, it gets quite boring) to make no movements that invovle turning my head, i.e. when i'm walking around to rotate the body instead of move my head around, this in itself is annoying. I aliken it to having to unlearn a habit, humans are habit forming creatures.

The result is i can go for months, maybe a year sometimes till one rears its head but i i can shake them off with the mindset above. I guess things like yoga, meditation, ti chi may help but i'm more of a roll ups and jack daniels sort of person and have never tried, its just a thought. Anyway if i manage to help 1 personwith my 10 pence worth i'll be happy, good look all.

I'm 14 and I have had a few different kinds of twitches since I was little, the worst was blinking hard and frequently. It was gone for a long time but it came back last year and I didn't even realize I was doing it in class! My friend looked at me and started asking why I did it but she didn't understand I couldnt help it! It's frustrating trying to explain to people how hard it is to hold back a twitch. :/

So glad to have found this, I have been ticking for as long as I can remember, I always thought it would just go away sometime soon or it wasn't very bad until I started hearing about Tourrets and I worked out it could be a lot more serious, I have always been quite popular and have had good friends so its never gotten in the way of my social life, but it can get in the way of sport seeing as I do a lot of it, my tics have changed a lot over the years, it was blinking a lot then I used to look to the side, then I would breath out really hard and cough a lot or make a little noise, it went away for about a year but now its back (I'm almost 16) this tic involves scrunching up my face and pulling my nose down to the left of my face, and I end up with a really sore nose, it also involves closing my my eyes which can really screw me up when I'm playing sports, I often trip because of it. I once told a girl that I think I had it and to not tell anyone especially not her best friend (my girlfriend at the time), so the first thing she did was tell her and have a giggle about it like I was joking, since then I haven't told anyone, I'm thinking about telling my parents soon and talking to a doctor, as my uncle has had bad facial tics since he was quite young. Might post back how my doctors appointment goes, cya

I've had it for while now and im 13 but I'm pretty sure for me it's not nevous ticks or anxiety or tourrets what I think it is for me is insanity im not kidding ive been doin it in school and I think some people are somewhat geting scared of me. But the only way i could stop it for a while was listening to brutal music and swinging a hammer around.  sorry if you think im wrong or dumb but i think is insanity.

Hi kizza. I too have alot of the same symptoms that you have and i cant stop. It started for me when I was in 4th grade and i would clear my throat uncontrollably but not all of the the time for i did have control. Over the next 2 years I started jerking my head and wrists as if im drumming. I was ridiculed in school for doing this and i hated it so much. I have ADHD so when i was tested for that in the 3rd grade, i was also tested for tourettes which thankfully i turned up negative. I was presribed a medication called "conserta" for the ADHD which i took up until the beginning of my freshman year of high school. By the end of 8th grade i was really fed up with the twitching so i told my mom to schedule a doctors appointment to see what the cause of the twitching was. He said that it could be the ADHD medication that is stimulating my brain too much so i was immediately taken off the "concerta". After a trip to The Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia, the doctor prescribed me an ADHD medication called "vivance" and a anti-seizure medication called "topamax" to counter-act the twiching. I understand that the medication is a stimulant and most likley is to blame for the twitching. when i dont take the mediation, I dont really twitch but i need the medication to focus in school. It seemed like we hit the nail on the head because i was twitch free my freshman year but it all started up again during my sophomore year. I could some-what control the twitching but i knew they were getting worse and worse. i started a habit of writing really hard or having to write over words multiple times to the point that my school work was barley legible and when i tried to type things i would pick up the mouse and slam it down. I could tell that they were more triggered by stress because i would do them alot while taking tests. I have recently started vocal tics which i cannot control at home. I'm about to go into my junior year and if these twitches don't stop, I will not be able to focus in school and my grades will suffer. I understand that the ADHD medication is a stimulant and most likely is to blame for the twitching and when I don't take the mediation, I don't twitch. But I need the medication to focus in school and if i do not take, my grades will really suffer. I am in a lose-lose situation and i NEED help with this  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use