Last Monday afternnon in the office I experienced a sudden feeling of being hot and had a heavy feeling in my upper arms. It lasted abut one minute or so and then went.
This morning I had the same thing at home standing in the kitchen. This time I thought about what was happening a little more and there was also a sort of hot feeling in my upper chest just below my neck. Again it laste a mimute or so. Have you any ideas what could be the cause please?
23 June 2008

The same thing happens to me and I have no idea what is causing it. I start to feel hot and then my upper arms get so heavy I have to sit down and the middle of my chest hurts. I have told my doctor but he doesn't even know what is causing it.

I just had a spell of heaviness in the arms and shaking hands. It lasted maybe 5 minutes. Not sure what it is exactly, but the Dr says it must be in my neck-like a pinched nerve. I have no pain. They did a brain MRI and a neck xray and will have a neck MRI soon to finally determine the cause.

I really wish someone with answers would reply to these post. I have had this going on for about 6 months. I haven't experienced the heaviness in the chest or pain in the chest....my upper arms become so heavy, I can't even raise them. It last for about 1-2 min. It was happening about once a month, but yesterday at work, I had 4 spells within 5 hours. It is a really bad and scary feeling. If anyone has any idea, please post something.

Are u in menopause??? my mother use to have issues of these too . She use to have a lot of hot flashes ... sometimes sweating to and feeling without energy . She had to stop from whatever she was doing and rest a bit.. I think it can be related to anxiety too ... Have u been feeling stressful lately?

Anxiety can mimic a lot . You think that uve got something serious but its just anxiety!!!

Take care

Regards from Malta

I am a healthy 53 yo male, and have been experiencing similar syptoms to those listed in this post. Heaviness in arms, shoulders, some general tightness in the chest. All lasting for only a couple of minutes. Sometimes accompanied with sweating. Don't know what it is. Thought it might be heart related. Spoke with general practicioner and he wasn't alarmed, didn't think it was a heart attack. Again, I am quite healthy, active with exercise, non-smoker, low cholesterol. Am stumped and so is my doctor. Would really appreciate any comments. Am quite concerned.

thanks.

Hi. I'm feeling a sudden sharp pain and soreness in the upper right arm too. Some people have said that this can be a sign of bone cancer ( not very common) or a disorder. Most likely this can be caused by overuse of the arm or overexertion. I've been fine all day, but just happens to notice that my arm felt almost like lead and had a throbbing-like heartbeat of its own. I'm almost 12 yrs old and wonder if this can be an early sign of something bad. Hope this helped at all. Bye!

I am having the same issues now- and I feel myself panicking- I am scared

when you find out let me know, my son is experiencing the same thing for months now, he is 21 and has not gone to Dr. yet. STUBBORN. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Hello All,

I am experiencing the same issue, sudden onset of debilitating pain down both arms with a hot sensation. VERY painful and scary.

Have any of you received information of the cause?

After an exray, I was recently diagnosed with cervical spondylosis in my neck.  Simply put I have arthritis in my neck and spine.  I have had a very stiff neck for several months.  My specialist has ordered an MRI which I am on a waiting list to have it done in about 6 months.   Over the past several years I have experienced a sudden onset of heaviness and weakness in my upper arms, lasting a minute or two, and which now happens more often and without warning.  Upon discussion with my Dr he feels it could be related to my cervical spondylosis in my neck causing nerves to be pinched.  It makes sense to me.  I wish the wait list for an MRI was shorter. 

I have had this for many years and it normally happens if I sneeze violently or make a sudden movement. It's starts as a short shooting pain on my right shoulder blade and then my arms go heavy and achey. It's really uncomfortable and makes me feel sick too. Doctor said it was a trapped nerve.

I have the same thing. I was told it is my Fibromyalgia. I had to leave my job, as I was getting these attacks everyday. I now tremble also, and, they gave me medication to take when I feel them coming on. I been to the heart Doctor and I also have low blood sugar. It really is a bad feeling. It drains me and I have to relax. they last between 5 minutes to a few hours. and, sometimes happen a few times a day.

I am a 57yr old woman and I have just experienced this horrible scary feeling last week whilst out shopping. I thought I was having a heart attack or a stroke. I didn't feel any pain, just my hands then arms feeling really heavy and going up into my shoulders and cross my chest. Like everyone else only lasted a few minutes but it was very frightening. I tried to shake it out. It left me with a tingly uptight feeling for about n hour after. I Saw the doctor and had tests at the stroke clinic but all was fine. But im pretty sure, after reading up on it, I think it was some sort of anxiety attack as ive not been sleeping properly for a while and having hot flushes and generally feeling down. Well that's my self diagnosis anyway. Hope someone can tell me for sure what it is, as ive had another attack since but a smaller one.