I am diagnosed with Meniere’s disease, and I am sick and tired of these problems and symptoms. I saw that during attacks, I am unable to perform activities normal to my work or home life. In my case, sleepiness may follow for several hours, and the off-balance sensation sometimes last for days. That is why I am so worried there is something else wrong with me. Can you say if my symptoms are normal, and could you tell me more about Meniere’s disease?

The symptoms of Meniere’s disease may be only a minor nuisance, or can become disabling, as you experienced. It is especially if the attacks of vertigo are severe, frequent, and occur without warning. The physician will take a history of the frequency, duration, severity, and character of your attacks. For your doctor it might be important and duration of hearing loss or whether it has been changing, and whether you have had tinnitus or fullness in either or both ears. You may be asked whether there is history of syphilis, mumps, or other serious infections in the past. In some cases of Meniere’s disease, it is important previous inflammations of the eye, an autoimmune disorder or allergy, or ear surgery in the past. From your post, I could tell your symptoms are completely normal for this disease, but you could still visit your doctor. There you may be asked questions about your general health, such as whether you have diabetes, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, and thyroid, neurologic or emotional disorders. Tests may be ordered to look for these problems in certain cases. When the history has been completed, diagnostic tests will check your hearing and balance functions. I could give you good advice, that a low salt diet and a diuretic known as water pill may reduce the frequency of attacks. In order to receive the full benefit of the diuretic, it is important that you restrict your intake of salt and take the medication regularly as directed by your doctor.

gwenny gave an excellent post. I myself was diagnosed with Meniere's at age 29. I'm now 42. The disease progresses differently in everyone. For myself, the vertigo attacks would initially last from 8-12 hours and I'd be dead tired afterwards (the brain works really hard during an attack trying to "correct" the perceived imbalance - all that brain activity really wears us out). The longest I went without an attack was 3 months and sometimes I'd have several attacks in the same week. After several years, my attacks lessened. I learned my triggers - poor sleep, stress will all lead me to an attack. My doc also thinks allergies are partly to blame. On the plus side, I haven't had a vertigo attack in the past 7 years although I did have drop attacks for a while (a very sudden vertigo that feels like being shoved to the ground - scary, but short, only lasted 5-10 seconds each time). But I haven't had a drop attack in over a year. I get 8 hours of sleep every night and nothing stresses me anymore. I barely notice the disease anymore though I did pay the price with most of my hearing (I'm bilateral). But I'm an avid snowboarder and am happier in my life now than I ever was before I was diagnosed. After I finished being depressed about the disease, I learned a lot from it (patience, the indescribable euphoria of no longer having to be perfect, etc.) which all led to meeting my soul mate. You can have a really good life with this disease. Maybe even a better one than you would have had otherwise.