Hi all,

I have extremely curly hair, and as a result have a lot of ingrown hairs (red bumps) on my legs. The hair curls back into the follicle, rather than growing straight out. I was wondering if anyone has any advice other than using Tendskin or Kalo which I have tried, and not found to be useful.

I do the tweezing method right now, however it leaves me with a scar afterwards which is pretty unattractive. I only use depilatories, and have found them to be a little better than shaving, but not a huge improvement.

Any advice? I'm getting desperate and thinking the only solution at this point is getting laser hair removal so I don't have to deal with it anymore. :-)

Thanks,
Dee

Hey Dee,

Here are some articles I found earlier about hair removal with Electrolysis. I didn't try it, so I'm still fighting with my leg-hair every weekend :)

Electrolysis involves inserting a fine needle into the hair follicle and applying an electrical current to the follicle root. This procedure actually burns the hair root theoretically preventing it from producing more hair.

Each hair follicle must be treated individually and may take several treatments to destroy the follicle. Electrolysis is a permanent form of hair removal but it has several drawbacks. First, there are no standardized licensing guidelines for electrolysis so finding an experienced, effective technician is difficult requiring talking to clients who have experienced permanent results.

Second, this method requires repeated treatments for up to 12 to 18 months. Hair follicles that are in the telogen phase are more difficult to destroy than hair follicles in the anagen phase. Shaving approximately 3 days before an electrolysis treatment ensures that the hairs that are visible are in the anagen phase.

At the end, side effects can include pain, infection, keloid formation (for people who are susceptible), hyperpigmentation, or hypopigmentation.

The last method along laser removal is hair removal with Vaniga.

Vaniqa is a prescription-only topical cream that has been FDA-approved for reducing and inhibiting the growth of unwanted facial hair. The active ingredient in Vaniqa is eflornithine hydrochloride, which has been used to treat African sleeping sickness and certain cancers. Vaniqa works by inhibiting an enzyme that is needed for cell reproduction and other cell functions necessary for hair growth. Vaniqa is applied twice a day to areas of unwanted facial hair.

Noticeable results are usually observed after 4-8 weeks of therapy. Application must be continued for as long as inhibition of hair growth is desired. Vaniqa continues to reduce facial hair growth for up to 8 weeks after discontinuing treatment.

I've heard about Vaniqa from my sister living in south Florida. She tried it and she said it's amazing and it worked for real. However I didn't try it by myself :? Either I don't have time or I don't have desire to start with this therapy.

Anyway, that's it what I know about this theme :) I wish you good luck with your hair removal.