I am 55 now and menopausal. I noticed that I am getting a bit of a mustache and little facial hairs where men have sideburns. It is a bit downy. Although I am (or rather was) blonde, when the sun shines on my face I can really notice these little hairs. And I do not like them!

I want to get rid of these unwanted facial hairs but am not sure what the best way is. I am scared of shaving because the hair will get coarser and I do not want to look like my gran at that age.

Any tips for an old lady?

Tweezing might work if you really don't have very many extra hairs. Waxing may also work, however you may find it painful and some people, if they have sensitive skin, also experience rashes from waxing. I have the impression that this thing called dermaplaning, which is basically "face shaving" meant for exfoliation to then perform facial treatments, also eliminates excess facial hair but I am not 100 percent certain there.

The most permanent solution is definitely laser hair removal though. I am afraid that costs a bit more but should be permanent or semi permanent and that should make you happy. :)

I'm 53, I as well have unwanted facial hair. I had a complete hysterectomy at the age of 42. I had the most terrible hot flashes, hair growing in odd places after my doctor put me on estrogen and added the testosterone. That's when it all began. My friend that has her license in cosmetology told me to shave my face in a downward position, to never pull up because that's what cuts into the cuticle of the hair and causes it to grow back rough. My face is so soft and it exfoliates as well. Most people guess my age to be 35-40. I think that shaving in a downward motion is a great thing. That's just my experience.

Oh, thank you for sharing your experience! That does sound very good. I am not too handy with the old razor nor with makeup really. I'm more of an outdoorsy lady who never cared about that stuff in the past, but now that age is catching up with me I really do want to look a little fresher. You know what? Stuff it - I am going to do exactly what you suggested and shave my face like a man would, but I will make sure I only pull the razor down.

That sucks big time and if I'm honest, I really do hope that I'm not afflicted with the same thing when I get to your age, LOL, but I guess that's wishful thinking and it's actually pretty common to get extra facial hair in middle age. My first thought is waxing but I do get my legs done sometimes and used to get my eyebrows waxed as well. The thing about the eyebrows is the hair never, ever grew back again... the thing about the legs though is not only does the hair grow back unfortunately, but also, you know, a "wax rash" can appear sometimes. You wouldn't want that on your whole face all the time but if your face is like my brows, waxing and getting red bumps once or twice only to have your hair not come back could be a lot cheaper than laser hair removal, know what I mean?

I suffer from the same issue, and though I have consider electrolysis, which of course lasts longer than waxing by a long shot, it is clear that the results of electrolysis hair removal are not permanent, as well as take a long time and cost a lot of money. I am now hoping that laser hair removal can provide the permanent solution to my facial down that I am after. While also not advertised as definitely being permanent, there are indications from previous customers that it can be quite likely to last forever. That is good enough for me but I still haven't found the right clinic.

I'm a hairdresser. We find it more effective if you wax. If you have jusy a few you can get them with tweezers but if you have done fine facial hair sometimes the tweezers won't get all you need. That's when the wax comes in handy. Also hairdresser, can get product to help with senstive skin or st least can from where I am

Celebrity
Hello Lacey,

This problem sounds familiar to me. While I have very sensitive skin that reacts to almost everything, I would still very much like to eliminate the facial down that is adorning (or cursing) my skin. Because even putting on a commercial cream can really irritate my skin, I have never even considered waxing or even shaving. You mention products for sensitive skin. Are there special waxes that are meant for this? If so, would you point me in the direction of some brand names, please?

Rosie

Maybe you can wax? It does sometimes irritate your skin. To prevent rashes stay hydrated.  It will hurt but it will get rid of your unwanted hair. I also remember I had this thing with a spring and a disk at the ends. With that you just wiggle the spring around th hair and it will be gone. I don't know what it's called though.  You could look into any hair removal cream or you could even get laser hair removal if you can afford it and are willing to sit through the pain. There are some risks with laser removal so that's something to keep in mind and ask whoever might do it before you make up your mind.

Good luck on getting rid of your unwanted facial hair! :)

I've got this issue too and when I looked for answers I stumbled on blog posts suggesting weird things like egg masks and sugary concoctions to let them dry on the face and then pull it off, pulling the hairs out with this. No, I don't want that. I can get on board with shaving but would love a more permanent answer to this problem of looking like someone with too much hair on the face. I am going to email someone about laser removal of facial hair. I don't even know if this is generally done but I figure if it is OK for the armpits, why not for the face? I can always ask.