Hi, I would like to ask you about borderline personality in children. You see my fifteen years daughter is behaving intolerable. One day she says that I am the greatest mom in the world and the next she can't stand me. I have also noticed that she has a new best friend every couple of weeks. Things culminated last weekend when she took my car and had an accident. Fortunately, she was not badly injured. The problem is that I saw this kind behavior in my mother and she suffered from borderline personality disorder. Is it possible that my daughter could be suffering from the same condition at her age?

Hi, people who suffer from border line personality disorder usually show first symptoms of the condition in the adolescent years. The problem is that this kind of behavior is usually assigned to growing pains and the proper diagnosis is established later in life. The symptoms you have noticed in your daughter are consistent with borderline personality disorder. The fact that your mother had the same illness only certifies the possibility of your daughter suffering from borderline personality disorder because this condition is thought to be inheritable. However, you should not try to diagnose your daughter on your own. You should talk to her about the reasons for her behavior. Also you should take your daughter to see a professional therapist who will determine the right diagnosis.