it makes it longer and harder and you just trade one drug 4 the next if you want to b sober dont do it . i have stopped the methadone the docs way and cold turkey and just no everyone is different the docs way lasted so much longer it wasent as hard core but it just keeps going and going god i wish i never got on the done . cold turkey right now is week 3 70mil to o over night week one was ok week two ha ya what a trip its like all your thoughts you should of had when on the done all hit u at once you r good one min and the next you dont even no y but you get so down over nothing . but it feels good to feel again . for me year one went good but i could feel it in my self that i was not happy with who the done was turning me in to i was like a zombie work home tv. my two kids got to c it all ups and downs in and out thats what turned the light on this time my son was like y dont u ever want to do anything anymore i had to think what we do stuff but then i stared thinking c**p i dont do anything i love to do any more fishing MX not a dam thing . sorry for all that but here is what helped me long walks baths try to eat good music is good to but just keep trying to have good thinking thats the hardest its all n your head

id just like to say that reading your post has given me hope period. Its the first of of its kind that i have read regarding codeine to methadone to freedom again..I sure hope its as easy as you say in the post. I went from approx 300-350 mg codeine to 45 mg methadome for pain. Now that ive started Dome I think i have made a big mistake reading all the other posts and i mean all!! Even though I have had a easy no pain transition and feel very good for the first time in a long time since day 1.Today is day 19 at 45 mg. Even though I am enjoying my pain free days and good night sleep it (methadome) is a bummer going intp pharmacy daily, the doctor visits,urine tests 2 time weekly,constipation and some other unwanted side affects. Trying to keep it to myself living in a small town etc//.thanks for the pleasant post .

My sister is on methadone.  She talks about getting clean but never does.  She is currently staying with me.  My question is, what does the family need to do when the dependent is going through the withdrawals?  I mean do they need 24 hour care?  I have to work but there are other family members who can help at different times.Do they get physical, like to fight, with you over it?I want her to get clean but the clinics are in for the money and everyone who 'quits', they lose money.

Also, there are times that she is up all night, times that she sleeps constantly. Is this normal or is she possibly selling/sharing her dosage with someone?  I wonder after reading some of the symptoms of withdrawal - some sound like what she does at different times.

you sound so judgemental toward your sister. The methadone helps the addict stay away from all other drugs,plus to withdrawl from methadone is a night-mare she should wean down slowly to taper off and maybe just maybe she might be better off staying on MMT -talk with her get into a program to help as it's very hard for both sides,please look into all other options and never give-up.

You just have to be there for her as a brother!!! normally!!!
They dont need 24 hr care or very much for that matter.You dont have to do anything.Just be a normal brother!!
Wont get physical,fight with you unless someone has a reson to fight with you!!
And You want her to get clean from what??the methadone??Is it from a doctor? or the street?
Anything is possible but sleep patterns can be inconsistant anytime with anyone!!
If someone is getting clean off drugs the last thing anyone need or wants is someone giving them a hard time!!or a problem!!..Less stress the better

That's just not true,there are many who depend on methadone for life-saving circumstances.

Oh I am never giving up - and I know that she isn't on anything else - well pretty sure but she is scared of withdrawals but if she does, I was just inquiring so we as a family can be prepared.

Is it normal for her to sleep for days and be up for days. She gets dosed on Monday and Tuesday brings home her bottles. She is up from Monday until Thursday and then she starts sleeping until Monday morning when I drop her off to dose.

She goes to a clinic.
I just don't want her sharing with her son - if he needs it, he should go get his own. I don't want to see my sister like this but I am supporting her. She is here in my house living with me for free.
I'm taking care of her - better than anyone else ever has since she has been addicted.

Also scared. Don't know what to do. No money for rehab/detox

First off I'm A recovering addict so I know its not easy admitting your problem. But lying about it to anyone will only hurt you on the end. Be honest and not ashamed no one says as a child or young adult "I wanna be an addict when I grow up" so face the facts that you have a problem and there are facilities that are free at least in my area there are but you have to want to stop for yourself not for any other reason. And the pain of withdrawal will subside just don't give into it. Remind ypurself you are worth it and you are stronger than the addiction. Remind yourself that all the time and if you happen to be a Christian and believe in the bible read Isaiah 50:1-52:1. And keep yourself from situations that you know you can find or be handed drugs because its super hard to say no when its in your face. Change your number close out facebook change email if need be. Save yourself and as far as rehabs go u have to call everyday..get pen paper phone and phone book out and call each place everyday..it took me two weeks but I wanted it ..I wanted my life back ..and its been nearly4 years attend meetings u don't have to say anything just listen you may have something to contribute to anothers addiction after they speak it could be anything but something is better than nothing. And never for any reason use again.. it gets worse each time u quit and relapse quit and relapse til all faith in yourself being stronger fades and the drug will control you..

Baby proof your home keep easy meals and set snacks within his reach make up all your child's sippy cups or bottles have them ready in fridge shut all doors make a pallet in the floor of living room with his favorite things have stack of his fav cartoons let him know mommy is sick but do not sleep til he sleeps make sure you feed him if u have to set an alarm reminding u... And with the snacks like cheerios or something similar that is not a choking hazard. Make yourself get up spend ten /twenty min on setting up area where you can be right with him check under things in cabinets anywhere he may find something unsafe throw a blanket down AMD pillows AMD get well. Love on him speak softly and sweetly to him no matter how ill u fill and when he lays down put him next to u and sleep at that time if he understands tell him wake mommy up when you wake up set alarm if not don't fall asleep with your child unsupervised one second is all it takes for am accident to occur remember he comes before you .
Praying for u

hi guys and grats to all who are in recovery! I am currently on 17mgs at the clinic. It took me over a year and half to get to this mg from 80mgs. Now i am about to lose my job and will not be able to pay. My clinic does feetox (thankfully) and seeing that i am on a low dose im hoping the feetox wont be so bad. i am assuming they will take me down 2mg a day or so considering im so low already. I am ready to get off I have a bf who is willing to let me detox and then worry about getting new job, but i am still very nervous..i dont want to screw up after working so hard to get this far. I recently got back on my pysch meds and have a stockpile of seroquel and trazadone to help me sleep thru this process.I am also planning on getting a big bag of herb and would like to get some xanax too but my BF is against that idea which I understand. Unfortunately no one understands how it feels execept u all. He thinks ill be going thru flu like symptoms.which physically yes it is similar, however im not fearing the physical as much as that crawling out of your skin feeling..any advice??

I DONT THINK HE/SHE SOUNDS JUDGMENTAL AT ALL!! Kudos for u trying to help your sister!! i think they just want to understand so they know how to help further. All u are doing now is all u can do. Try to make her as vcomfy ass possible but inevitably it is up to your sister to get clean. Is that what SHE wants.,..we know thats what everyone else wants. I have tried to quit for family before and i was horribly unsuccessful. Now i am doing for me..i am finally at the point where im sure i can get off safely without relapsing. I am about to face feetox myself, good luck!

I wouldnt take any opiates to get clean..you'll end up back where u started. It sucks bad but if u want to be clean u have to go thru the detox. I know easier said then done, righT?? I am about to be in same position myself. U are not alone!! U will overcome this! good luck to u you friend

I have found that getting on anti depressants, I use prozac myself, dramatically increase the success of my withdrawal process. Get on it a month before you cut yourself off the drug and stay on a year after. I never thought I would succeed, but this time it was easy. Clean 1 1/2 years now and happy!!! So get antidepressants and good luck to you. You CAN do it.