First off, I am a 20 year old female, who has a stable job, goes to school, & has a loving supporting family, but I unfortunately make horrid decisions when it comes to drugs. I've been smoking oxycodone for a little over a year, a friend of mine had given me some subs to cure the withdrawal pain, however I kept bouncing back between smoking oxy & relieving the WD pain with subs. Now, here I stand completely DONE with subs. I jumped off subs 3 days ago, had mild WD symptoms, felt shitty, took some NyQuil (helps with sweats), & some Xanax for BAD anxiety. Anxiety had to have been the worst. I'm on day three now & took a methadone. Is it okay to alleviate the WD symptoms from the buprenorphine (sub) with a few methadone pills, so I can make the hump over the worst of the sub WD? I will not get addicted or take more methadone than needed, just to get over the worst so I can attend to my responsibilities. I am a full time student, I model (which entails me to go to casting calls & do four hour shoots), & I just need to get over the worst & be completely done. Please help! I appreciate any & all feedback. I promise I am only takin just enough methadone to cure the WD illness.

Hello, to start off, taking methadone to get over the "hump" of suboxone withdrawal isn't a very wise choice at all. Do not be surprised if when you no longer have any methadone, you will have withdrawal, and please allow me to explain.....when you take a methadone, during a suboxone, or ANY opiate withdrawal for that matter, your body doesn't know the difference between opiates so as far as your body knows..you took more suboxone and stopped the withdrawal..only to more than likely have to begin withdrawaling all over again when there is no more methadone..I hope I explained that clear enough..kinda like when someone is using..lets say Oxy's and they stop taking the Oxy's and go into withdrawal...after a few days they decide to take some methadone, which will take away withdrawals, becausing your body has gotten what it was withdrawaling from. I am not saying in any way that your intentions are wrong, just that maybe a not so good choice. Getting off opiates of ANY kind is never an easy task and I truly hope that you will get thru this ok and be able to stay away from the opiates.You seem like a very driven woman with alot going for you and I do wish you well!!!

Thank you for your response. I'm now on day six of no buprenorphine. I've taken three methadone to help. I understand what you're saying, however when you say that your body doesn't know what opiate it is, does that mean the same for when people are on oxy? & then take sub? I was smoking oxy for over a year & subs helped me get off of oxys but I just never stopped taking the subs, so there lies my next problem. Isn't a sub to get off oxy the same category? I don't mean this in a rude way as I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!

No, your not being rude at all..you asking a question....and yes..when someone comes off oxys and uses the subs it is no different..it is kinda hard to explain exactly in words on here..I have been thru it too many times to count and all I wish to convey to you is that I sense your desire to stop all of it and just wish you well on achieving that goal!!! If you want to chat please feel free to send me a message in my inbox and I will gladly speak with you!! Take care!!

Theresa, thank you for your words of encouragement. Just an update, a couple of days ago my mother & I decided it was time for me to get some professional help & so I decided to see a psychiatrist that deals with opiate abuse/withdrawal & suboxone detox as well as suboxone maintenance. My doctor put me back on the subs & I will gradually ween myself off of them. Your kind words helped me through a horrible time. I will keep updating you :) If you ever need to talk, I'm here.

Tonya, first off, I am sorry for your loss. My prayers go out to you & your family. I successfully stopped taking the methadone, all I heard were bad comments & experiences about them. As I stated above to Theresa, I am now seeing a psychiatrist who is really great to talk to & is helping me through these times. If you ever need to talk, I'm here.

Thank you both. Sending love your way. <3

I am so glad you are ok. I was so worried about you.You can get through this.....you are in my thoughts and prayers. If I can help you in anyway, please let me know.

Take Care,

Tonya

I was VERY happy to read your posting! I can't stress to you enough how happy I am and wish you a successful taper on your road to recovery!! I know there is alot of negative feedback on some posts here, but fear not, it is only words on a page and you seeking help like you have is a huge step towards your goal! I did it, it wasn't easy, but it was and IS doable!!! Keep me posted! I am here if you need to chat! Thank you for your offer to chat as well, I really appreciate your kindness during your hour of need! Good Luck! Theresa

Hello-

I was taking roughly 3 30mg of percocet a day, then cut down to 1 30mg a day, 15mg, once in the morning and then at night for a week. I was experiencing very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms so decided tostop the percs totally and took a suboxone yesterday. I broke it into 4 parts. How long do you think I should continue the subs for? I have done percocets on and off for a few years and just am sick of it, but also was so afraid to be sick from the perc withdr awals . The one sub stopped most side effects. How long should you weene (sp?) off the subs? I appreciate any suggestions. I am a pretty strong person and when I decide to do something, like get off the perks, I know I can do it.

Really need to kno if u think the methadone prolonged sub detox?

I could be wrong, I'm definitely no Dr, but what you're doing doesn't sound like it's very safe or the best way to stop. I 

understand fully what you are saying as far as your obligations go and potential embarrassment but it might be best to try going to  

a Dr who prescribes Suboxone. It can be prohibitively expensive so that depends on insurance and availability. Detoxing medically

is another thing but you won't probably want to do that as you can be detoxing for up to 5 days.  There are advertisements for

treating withdrawal to opiates that supposedly you won't withdraw from in a day. Dunno if insurance covers that probably not.

In terms of going from Suboxone to Methadone, both hold onto opiate receptors longer and stronger than other opiates. 

Suboxone and Methadone have much longer half-lives which is why you didn't have as serious withdrawals possibly. But from what 

I have heard, read (on here even) and experienced regarding both is that Methadone is stronger than oxycodone or morphine. So 

many people I know or have read about on forums like these wish they never got on it. Suboxone is a lot weaker but contains

buprenorphine and naloxone and holds onto the receptors strongly. Be careful not to take these unless you're already starting to 

withdraw, as they can replace whatever opiate you took on the receptor. Methadone used therapeutically at high doses forms

more of a blockade effect that's supposed to relieve cravings and prevent people from getting high but I know people that get 

around it. If you have to rough it and do it yourself, there's no way you could just taper down on what you take? Don't smoke it

but just trying cutting the dose back slowly. For instance I asked a pain management doc what the best way to stop taking the 

pain meds I was on and she said  to cut back 1 pill every 4 days. There are all kinds of suggestions all over the internet to detox on

your own or with the help of some product or another and  I understand not wanting to go into treatment too. I just think medical 

advice might be better. Opiate addiction is a very difficult thing to overcome. Even people who have sought help don't stop a lot of 

times. If you can even get support from ANYONE ask them to hold what you need and follow a taper and rough it out, than best of 

luck, just know there's no such thing as not having ANY withdrawals. Good Luck or now I see this was 8 mos ago so I hope you're 

doing well with it.

Get away from all long term withdrawal narcs. Methadone and suboxyn are both real bad choices. go to oxy or plain codiene with ativan. Good luck as I know you'll need it when the suboxyn is gone.

Hello, I was on suboxen for almost a year. My dr had me take 2 8mg pills a day. I never took my prescribed dosage at most I took half of one a day. I went down every month about 3 weeks ago I had 10 pills left from my prescription but I mental was ready to stop so I took my last does on a Sunday but let me back up a little. I started reading about green smoothies an I kept seeing detoxing with green smoothies so I said hmm maybe if I start taking drinking these they will help flush my system an give me the nutrition I really need at the time. So about 2 days before my last does of sub, I drank 3 8oz cups of fruit an vegetables a day. After about day 2 off of sub, I was feeling good I did have hot, cold flashes, an some anxiety but it was not bad at all. I had energy an mental felt good. I did take sleeping meds every night so I got sleep. On about day 4 I was looking up how I should be feeling with my withdrawals because I was in shock because I felt so good I felt like I was waiting for my withdrawal to get bad good news everyone they never got any worse then the anxiety an hot an cold. Now I kept drinking my smoothies for over 2 weeks on about day 6 I had no systems of withdrawal at all I felt AMAZING. I can not express enough how much the green smoothies helped me. I swear by them. I got my suboxen does down to about 1-2 mg an just mentally said I'm done. Now I did try taking my self off sub, a few months before but my withdrawals were horrible. I am writing this because if I can help even one person get off these nasty meds it's worth it. Good luck an if anyone needs anything just ask. Oh I forgot I had 10 8mg sub's left an I flushed them. I felt so great.

How did you make these green smoothies? what was in them?

i quit suboxine using 10mlg of methadone and taking 2mlg a day for 5 days and it worked like magic.

Gradually Reducing Doses,peak to your health care professional about gradual withdrawal,Don't try to withdraw alone without medical,Reduce doses slowly,Consider the idea that getting off long-term opiates (methadone, subutex) requires planning.