Hey everybody ive been addicted to heroin and oxycontin on an off for about 4 years ive detoxed a few times just cold turkey and went through that hell but i recently tried to quit again and just couldnt deal with the symptons so i went on methadone but after reading the posts about methadone has me scared my main question is how long do you normally have to be on methadone to withdrawal im on my 7th day of 60 mgs and thinkin about just stopping before its too late if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated i just wanna know if i stop methadone after 7 days will i go through withdrawal and if so how bad. thank you for your time any feedback greatly appreciate

1st of all CONGRATULATIONS for trying to stop the awful addiction to these heroins, legal and illegal!! Each person is totally different when it comes to how long they have to be on methadone. I was on it about 4 months, then i found a wonderful doctor who helped me further. You have obviously had to go to a clinic, so talk to the counsellors there. Don't just stop it cold turkey - even though you have been on it a short time - your body is still thinking it is on heroin, so don't do that too it OK? Tell the counsellors you want to wean yourself off of it. And that's EXACTLY what you have to do, I did cold turkey and it is NOT good. You can actually die from it. So please just take it easy, especially on yourself. You have made the 1st HUGE step, so now you just have to listen to experts and your body and you WILL do it. I wish you sobriety, health and clarity.

I don't want to question a doctors advice, but I have sever reservations about methadone. Probably because it doesn't induce a high, it's not well known that it's THE most potent narcotic on the face of the Earth. I took 50 mgs for 5 years, and was forced to quit cold turkey 6 days ago when my doctor was arrested for diverting narcotics. The effects when you are on it are bad enough, but withdrawal is Hell. A Hell worse than you can imagine. Think long and hard ....

get off asap! Like most drug users, we hate getting sick and the easy way is to go score. Methadone is Government regulated. Just a easy way to score. I have been on for 7 years and tried to kick it and it is the worse sick ever!! It is far worse than Heroine! I have been up to 140 mg and the counslers are asking me if I want to keep going up. Hey! I am a drug addict folks, what do you think I tell them? Yes of corse I want to go up! I am 55 years old and tired of drugging. Methadone also made me nod behind the wheel and I broke my back. I stay on it now because of the back pain I have. Methadone also causes stomach pain and I have lost many dozes because of vomiting and loosing my dozes. I have tried several stomach meds and it is just no use. Man if you are only on 60mgs get off the stuff. Move to California and do the right thing like Bob Marley says. Herb don't kill no one.

First of all I'm glad you trying something to turn your life around. I was on Methadone for 21 years. I got comfortable and told myself I had to have it. If I had it all to do over. I would take what made me feel normal. Then I would level off for five or six months or what ever you feel like.{But not 21 years} Then every month I would go down 5mg. If you get to feeling bad level off for a month or two. But please believe me, Their is a life out there after drugs. Get your life straight and then come down as you feel like. The main thing is to get a life, Go back to college,build a small business get a job you enjoy. Your on the right path but remember the disease is still in your mind. It would not hurt to go to NA weekly and church.

dude, i'd take oxy, morphine, vico, hydromorphone w/d over methadone any day of the week. it has a ridiculous half life so as it exits ur system for plus 2 weeks...you're going to have a lot of sleepless nights, a lot of restless legs, and whatever hell on earth you can think off. it is by far the worst drug w/d i have ever endured, after a few failed attempts, i'm finally fluctuating between 2.5 every day or every other day and i never went above 10mg!! I've been on it for 6 months. i can only imagine what it's like for those that go cold turkey from 100+mg/day after 10+ years. Methadone is a demon in the form of a pill; it posses you = stop while you can. Please. 

Honestly if I were you ask this question to your primary dr. Or your pharmacist. I find my pharmacist to be the most helpful cause they studied medicines in school. I personally have been on methadone for 10 months since last May 2012 and if I had my choice I would have just went thru the H withdrawals and been done with it. I would not recommend methdone to anyone it is good if you plan on staying on for years and years. Its not my cup of tea I am detoxing now and can only come down 2 to 5 mgs per week or it is pure hell to go thru ten times worse than H detox. Try to get off it if you can its liquid handcuffs. I would never refer anyone to methdone clinic. Good Luck to you.

Get off now, it takes a year to fully get leveled out on methadone. You will stay on the rest of your life otherwise.
I know, been there many times. My first time on methadone I got off a month later and was ok.
The second time I was on a long time. Today is not long in my recovery, but this is the only way, you will suffer coming off methadone, unless you can find a way to get off as soon as you can.
I "thought" I was shooting too much dope, but that monkey is nothing compared to coming off methadone.
Good luck

I was the same way, and said the same thing also. Now, August 30th was my two year mark at my clinic on methadone. Honest to death, seven days isn't long enough to keep you from detoxification from your primary addiction. Basically if you stopped now, you'd have withdrawal from that or /AND you're first addiction. I'm starting my slow step down process now. I take, or supposed to take 85mgs twice a day. The last year I've only taken my second dose periodically. Anyway, you may need to go up, don't feel bad about that! Everyone is different, you may have an easy time getting off methadone, no matter how high the dose. I can tell you my life has changed 100% for the better since starting the methadone clinic! They've helped save my life! Give your total dedication and heart to your sobriety and you will be just fine :)good luck.