I am taking Methimazole and lately I have noticed I developed a fever and a sore throat. I wonder if that is normal, or is some side effect of this drug. I wonder if there is anyone, who could tell me more about Methimazole. I would appreciate any info, because my doctor did not tell me anything but some viral problem could happen. I need answer as soon as it is possible, because I do not know what to do with this problem.

If you are, taking Methimazole and you noticed strange symptoms that require attention. You should stop taking the medication and contact your physician or nearest medical clinic immediately. You need to get an assessment including a white blood count test to make sure that your white blood count is normal. Most patients with this scenario will just have a routine viral or bacterial cause of the sore throat. However, it is important to ensure that the Methimazole you were taking did not cause your white blood count to drop, precipitating the infection. The drug that is used for the treatment of hyperthyroidism exerts its actions by decreasing thyroid hormone synthesis. In patients with Grave's Disease, this medicine likely also exerts a beneficial effect on the immune disturbance underlying the development of GD. Some patient’s experience a bit of nausea, or mild stomach upset and many patients find that this drug leaves a bitter aftertaste. Methimazole was suspected to be the cause of the cholestatic hepatitis and this diagnosis was supported by the results from a liver biopsy. The presentation of the patient was unusual by virtue of the delayed onset and prolonged course of cholestasis, so I would recommend you to report your symptoms to your doctor immeditately.

There are new studies showing that Methimazole is causing tonsilitis and infections in peole who are using this drug. Doctors are just now finding this out about this drug. You should NEVER stop taking your medication without your doctor knowing and tell him if you have any fevers or sore throats that keeps coming back.