My throat has been sore for weeks. I bought some syrup first, but it wasn’t very effective. Now my nose is runny and I think I had fever last night. Are those symptoms of viral pharyngitis or Strep throat? Do I need to see a doctor or I can take some meds over the counter?

The symptom of pharyngitis is a sore throat. However, there is a difference. For Viral pharyngitis sore throat occurs with the following symptoms: redness in the throat, runny nose, stuffy nose, cough, hoarseness, and redness of the eyes and in case of the Strep throat (bacterial pharyngitis) fever, pain when swallowing, a generally sick feeling, headache, redness and swelling in the throat, a coating on the tonsils or tongue, and swollen, tender lymph nodes. It is difficult to tell what you have because symptoms of viral and bacterial pharyngitis can overlap. Go and see a doctor!

i have virla pharyngitis and i went to the doctor's and they said that their is no medince that you can take but i just got it and i can not handel this at all ever thing they told me to dois not doing any good and this sucks...

Be careful. I had all of the symptoms for Bacterial Strep including, as the doctor put it, "the strep smell". My test came back negative but he said, "That is definitely Strep" after 4 days of amoxicillan and no drop in temp, I went back. He said it must be viral and prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic and prednisone. One prednisone and 4 hours later I was good as new.