I have seen numerous doctors and been prescribed an antibiotic and all types of puffers and cough syrups to no avail. It feels like there is something on the left side of my throat. The cough generates a thick white sputum. All chest x-rays have been clear. Non-smoker. I can barely answer the phone or talk to any length without breaking into a cough and my voice is raspy and hoarse all the time. Any answers. right now we are going to try treatment for acid reflux. what are your thougths?

What exactly is it that is on the left side of your throat? Is this a bump or something else? Maybe some white patches or plaques that could be wiped off? In this case, it could be something fungal. On the other hand, you could have a strep throat. Is it a bit scratchy maybe? Have you done the throat culture? I would do it straight away so you know if it is something wrong with your throat.
As you are suspecting to have the acid reflux, I also think this could be the cause of the acid reflux, as you have the hoarse voice, which is known to be the symptom for acid reflux. Have you ever experienced any other symptoms, which include the chest pain, difficulties with swallowing food etc.
Treating acid reflux with medications takes short time and sometimes it should be repeated as some symptoms are likely to recur.
I hope you will have more luck with finding what is making you worried about your condition.

Hi , My partner coughed for 6 months and finally found that it was a blood pressure pill that was the cause. She stopped taking it and the cough stopped. hope this helps

Hey i am going thru this right now. i have had laryngitis for a month now, it start with broncitus. I have taken everything you have and i still have a raspy voice. and i am tld it take a long time sometimes. But i will be calling the doctor again after the holiday. I am also worried about this. Good Luck

Hey there - For a few days now I have had fevers, chills, thick post nasal drip, and a productive cough that is presenting with lovely green-yellow gunk from my throat and lungs. Yesterday I completely loset my voice - this is after about three 3 days of raspiness. I am a nurse and worked thru it, yesterday was my day off so I saw a NP at my Doctor's office. I have confidence in this office - I work in the office next door.
I figured it had to be viral as I felt fine to work. Now I am scared - no voice at all - it is painful to talk and then it is a whisper with a squeek if I am lucky. So, I rested my voice all day yesterday as reccomended and this am I had to call out - via my husband - as again no voice.
My rapid strep was negative and today I hope to find out if the culture grew anything. I am a very vocal talkative person and not to have my voice is scaring me!

Just wondering if it was a really good idea to "work through it" if you're a nurse...isn't that a really good way to infect others ? Elderly people or those with compromised immune systems could be hit particularly hard by a viral or bacterial condition such as you described.

I have a persistent cough as well.. it has been with me for more than 4 years and the doctors seem to be at a loss as to what to do.. I cough up flem and am convinced it is a viral cough.. When on holiday in spain a doctor said there was no doubt this is viral and prescribed anti biotics. the cough cleared up for a while. i am a non smoker, chest x-rays are clear. One thing i notice is that it is considerably worse in teh morning just after I am up and in teh evening as it gets dark. i wonder if damp air affects it. I had the Yuppie flu (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) 10 years ago. it lasted 6 months and was finally cured by a strict vitamin C diet. i am about to try that again as I am at a loss as to what to do next. Any ideas?

It feels like there is something on the left side of my throat. The cough generates a thick white sputum(it almost looks like normal saliva)
- i have the same sign and symptoms and i am also a nurse, i have been coughing for almost 2months now, my doctor told me to have high doe of vit. c. because he thinks its associated with stress (decreases immune system) already tried it for a month, i got a reduced frequency of cough,

i get this every year, and have for at least 25 years, sometimes like this year, twice a year. when left untreated it turns to pneumonia, which usually ends me up i the ER for a few nights and takes months to recover from.
presently i'm on day nine, the fever has left, the soreness in the throat has diminished so that i can actually eat again, but my ears feel like they've been pressurized from a plane landing, and it's incredibly painful.

i have allergies to many antibiotics, and the one things that's worked to kill this (i usually try and wait it out to see if i can beat it without the antiboticsfor at least 5 days) is a charcoal based antibiotic (which is also extremely inexpensive) and a steroid based inhaler, which eases the coughing.

I have been coughing since November 2010!!! I've been to my primary dr several times and the ER once. I've been put on several antibiotics, inhalers and I've cracked a rib due to coughing so hard! I finally went to a pulmonary dr because I was scared I had lung cancer but the only thing that showed up on the CT, THANK YOU JESUS!!, was my cracked rib. The dr put me on meds for acid reflux and wants to see me in a month. However, I continue to cough, not every day, but every other day. I coughed all night last night and have continued to cough today. I called my primary dr back today and asked if maybe it could be my cholesterol meds that are making me cough because I read that it is a side affect of taking Lovaza. I'm at my wits end!!! I'm exhausted at this point. I rib is never going to heal if the coughing doesn't stop.

I have been coughing since October 2011, I had a fever...and now 5 months after I'm still coughing, I got so many allergy pills, puffs, anti biotics, nothing helped....The doctor I go to doesn't even want to send me to a specialist, she made me trow out my carpet, I stopped drinking coca cola and lots of water, I take multi vitamin every day, bought that myself and it helped a little...I cough every day, every morning I sit out yellow sputum and later on the day it becomes white, I'm tired of being sick, my back aches from coughing HELP HELP