I would like to know more about viruses and viral infection in general. Doctor told me that my daughter has a viral rash, but he didn't know what virus caused it. How can that be? Please, give me more information.

Viruses are microscopic organisms whose survival is entirely dependent on using the DNA of other living cells. These living cells are called host cells and thanks to them viruses develop and multiply. Some viruses lie dormant in the host's cells and reactivate at a later time and another pattern is a chronic infection. Viruses can infect the skin in various ways, like: by direct inoculation, by local spread, or by systemic infection. Some viruses result in rashes with specific characteristics but others are not easy to identify. This is the case with your son and the inability for his doctor to determine the cause. Viral infections commonly result in skin lesions and rashes and when a rash occurs the resolution is seen after the immune system clears the infection. This is a common pattern in children and after the rash is gone, some skin peeling may occur. You don’t have to worry too much about that, I am sure that your daughter will be ok.