Hello, folks. I have a problem and I hope someone here could help me. My wife is pregnant and everything was fine. However, she started complaining on itching. We went to her obstetrician. After running some tests, it seems she has intrahepatic cholestasis. Can this condition hurt the baby? Thanks for replying.

Hello, there. Intrahepatic cholestatic of pregnancy is also known as obstetric cholestasis. It means that the flow of bile is decreased or even stopped. The bile then transfers into the bloodstream. Some complications can be dangerous for the baby. There is a higher risk for stillbirth. There is also possibility of meconium aspiration syndrome and meconium ingestion. This condition cannot be treated, but there are some medications that can improve baby’s chances. First, there is ursodeoxycholic acid which is very effective. There is also Cholestyramine, but it is less effective than the previous one. Bye!