Hello! My boyfriend is a sportsman, he plays handball semi-professionally. His training and games are very physically demanding. Proof for that is the fact that he had his shoulder dislocated three times. It was very painful for him but as soon as he was up to it he went back to his trainings. I gave up convincing him to quit the handball and decided to look for some methods for dealing with the recurrent shoulder dislocation as to prevent it from happening again if I can. Any advice?

Hi! My son is in college and he plays for the college basketball team. He recently fell onto an outstretched arm and got his shoulder dislocated. He is still recovering from this trauma. I hope that he will not go back to basketball since the doctor warned him that the capsule and the ligaments that hold the shoulder in its place got stretched and the chances of reoccurrence are therefore great. The doctor advised him to start physical therapy, and when the therapy is over to continue with the strength training which will help muscles that hold he shoulder get stronger and prevent it from dislocating again.

Hi! There is no method for you to use as to prevent sport injuries, unless quitting the sport. Although building up the muscles and being really careful can help. There is also a kind of operation that can help. It is supposed to put the ligaments and the capsule into its normal state and thus lower the risk of reoccurring dislocation. I am not sure though if it is the operation of choice or the doctors do it only when they feel the case is severe enough. Maybe someone else knows more?

I have had recurrent dislocations of my shoulder. I am a 26 yr. extremely active male. I would say my shoulder has dislocated around 20 times in my life. I also had surgery to repair the shoulder, which unfortunately did not work. My mother tried to convince me to stop playing sports back when I was in high school. However, the reality is that my shoulder does not bother me to the extent that I would ever quit playing sports. Remember... The first dislocation hurts the most. All the fresh ligaments are torn forever, unless they are surgically repaired. After that, you are only tearing through scar tissue. The recovery times is much shorter (2-3 days compared to 6-8 weeks), but the stability of the shoulder obviously is not what it used to be. The only big danger is nerve damage, which unlikely will be anything permanent. The other problem is going to be arthritis in early adulthood.

If your son is playing college basketball, let him play. He only gets this opportunity once. Remember, you use your knees to walk not your shoulders.