Hello! My son is a 14 year old teenager. He plays basketball for his school team. He had a collision during a game a week ago and he hurt his arm. He was in great pain and we took him to the hospital where we found out that he had dislocated his shoulder. They did the reduction and immobilized his hand, gave him some medicaments and told us that he will have to have physical therapy too. The doctors also warned us that in teenagers the risk of reoccurring shoulder dislocation varies in-between 50-100%. I wonder something about this recurrent shoulder dislocation – is it dangerous?

Hi! I am an athlete for the last 7 years. My sport of choice is wrestling. I have never had my shoulder dislocated but many of my friends and colleagues did. It is not dangerous although some complications can occur. Your son is now in more of a risk to have his shoulder dislocated again because his ligament and capsule which hold his shoulder in its place are stretched. Now it will be much easier for the shoulder to fall out of its place and he needs to work on strengthening the surrounding muscles as to reduce the risk of that happening. There is also an operation which can restore the ligaments and capsule to their original state but doctors don’t usually recommend it first time the shoulder gets dislocated.

Hello! As a mother of an athlete I can tell you that there is no method for you to use as to prevent sport injuries. Your son quitting the sport would be the only solution. My son has had his shoulder dislocated four times, and finally he had this operation. After the operation he didn’t return to sport. I guess I can tell you about certain complications from personal experience. During one shoulder dislocation he hurt his nerve too, which was very painful and slow to heal. And on another occasion his shoulder dislocation has been accompanied by a fracture. I would not want to be the one to tell you, but maybe you should try to convince your son to start some less aggressive form of exercise.

I dislocated my shoulder, I kid you not, over 100 times. Playing sports made it a regular occurrence for me. Finally after a couple of years I had it fixed and haven't had any problems since.

If you dislocate your shoulder you increase your chances of dislocating it again. The worst that can come from a dislocated shoulder is a torn rotator cuff, which is hardly life threatening. If you dislocate your shoulder and don't tear your rotator cuff chances are you won't tear it if you dislocate it again because your shoulder will probably come out the same way it did the first time because that path offers the least resistance.

If it has happened multiple times since, you should probably have an MRI done.