Hello. I'm 40 year old male and I'm really worried about my son’s heath. You see, he is only 19 years old but already playing for the school’s football team. We are very proud of him.
About a week ago he has felt a strong pain in his left foot.
I thought he could injured him self on training but he says he didn’t. Anyway, his doctor checked it out and told us that the problem is in some sesamoid bones in his feet and that he should have an operation of sesamoid removals. It scared me a lot. What kind of operation this really is? Will it jeopardize his future in sport?

Hello. I'm a medical student and I know some facts about these sesamoid bones and the operation you’ve mentioned.
You see, there are two sesamoid bones, located beneath the head of the first metatarsal bone, forming an articulation with it.
Ossification of the sesamoids is normally complete by eleven years of age but sometimes they exist even longer as sharp structures resulting in strong pain. Treatment often includes rest and swimming till symptoms disappear. Anti-inflammatory medication could also be prescribed. I hope your doctor has checked this out really good because after the sesamoid removal operation carries the risk of complications which may result in the inability to continue with sport activity