Hi, my son who is 12 years old has recurrent MRSA skin infections, and some other boys in his football team as well. The bug is resistant to some antibiotics, and they are treated with clindamycin. How to prevent more infections occurring?

Earlier, outbreaks of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections were known only in health-care institutions, but now MRSA is becoming a cause of skin infections in the community. In sports, were competitors easily come in close contact to each other, it’s not a wonder to have reoccurring MRSA infections. If all participants would be MRSA free, the situation would be greatly improved. Sport clubs, coaches and others involved in children training should take preventive measures like increase hygiene level, disinfect surfaces prone to bacteria settlement and take proper care of skin injuries, to prevent skin infections.

In my opinion as a Microbiologist and Health Researcher, recurring infections are rampant because antibiotics put a great deal of stress on the immune system. Addressing the immune system is the area nearly all infection treatment programs for Staph and MRSA fail. If you use antibiotics, especially over time, they suppress your immune system by killing off all of the "good" bacteria in your gut, and many of the antimicrobial soaps and washes has been shown to affect the "good" bacteria that guard your skin from hostile bacteria. The more you use them, the more problems it creates.

For one, you need to find a really high quality probiotic to address your gut bacteria - putting the good guys back in will help. And, antimicrobial soaps aren't even supported by the AMA and I believe should be stopped. Use natural soap and warm water to keep your hands and skin clean. Above all, in the age of antibiotic resistance, it's critical that each of us find effective, natural medicinal antibiotics and use them first, saving antibiotics as a last resort for infection treatment. There are so many effective options available, yet many people are unaware of them or how to use them.

However, regardless of which treatment approach you take, you must address your immune system, otherwise, you will have a hard time stopping the recurring infection cycle. It took me 2 years to figure this out, and once I did, the infection cycle stopped. I haven't had a recurring infection since.

I've put my personal experience healing from my own chronic recurring infections, my education as a Microbiologist and Staph Researcher, into my website and book on MRSA Treatment options called MRSA Secrets Revealed. My book covers all kinds of proven and effective alternative approaches, and most importantly how to effectively get your immune system functioning. I believe the immune system is a major root cause for infection.

Michelle Moore
Microbiologist and Health Researcher

*** edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed