My daughter is 15 years old and she got interested in sports. I must say that I'm very pleased with that, since I have been also active in physical activities my entire life. She started training handball, but she does not seem satisfied. What do you think of female soccer? She is a great fan of local club, and she is seriously considering starting training soccer.

Female soccer is in a great expansion these last few years. Since you are also an active sportsmen, then there is no need to explain to you benefits of constant, day after day training. But, you also know that soccer is very competitive sport, with lots of obligations for those who are training it, so there might be some problems in fulfilling her other duties, school at first place. Then again, if she's dedicated and talented, she could become a true soccer star, and that's something to be proud of, right?

I am not too much in favour of women playing soccer. It doesn't appear feminine at all. It's a rough game and I don't think women are the weaker sex but I just can't imagine them with all the bruises and the aggressive attitude.

Shame on you Terrence.

My daughter has played soccer for 12 years and she's feminine enough to attract many a guy. Actually, most of the girls on her team are very pretty and fit. And she's a very tough cookie. Yes, she does get a lot of bruises, but she usually wins the ball.

Soccer players are the most fit players of any sport according to some report I heard a year or so ago.

That said, starting soccer at 15 is late for the sport. Not impossible, but late. Have her join a recreational team. If you want her to get up to speed, she'll need a private trainer to teach her the basics and tactic skills. There are many impromptu games out there - at least in California where soccer is huge. Have her find pickup games to improve her skill.

Good luck!

ignace, I truly do belive that encouraging your daughter to follow her heart is the right thing to do. I personally come from a little orthodox community where females playing these kind of sports is deemed to be not so right. But things are changing now, and with that we need to evolve. If your daughter is truly passionate and dedicated then please do support her. As a parent I think, that the main thing that you need to remind her about are her other resposibilities. Make it clear to her that if she can manage both then you are going to support her through this. =)