Hi, folks. My friend went to Africa to work. Unfortunately, he caught some virus and he is hospitalized now. I think he has chikungunya disease. I hear there are mild and severe forms of this disease. I would like to know something more about this exotic disease. Thank you in advance. Bye!

Hello, guys. Chikungunya fever is transmitted by mosquitoes. Fever is usually up to 39o C. There is maculopapular or petechial rash on the trunk and eventually on limbs. Arthritis or arthralgia can also occur. This virus is characteristic for Africa and Asia. I am not familiar with existence of mild or severe forms. Fever usually lasts for 2 days. Other symptoms such as rash, headache, conjunctivitis and other can last for 5 or more days. You should consult an infective disease specialist about this. I hope I‘ve helped a little.