I noticed a month ago a fingernail on each hand of my four-year old child corroding and breaking at the cuticle and and loosening. The cuticle where the breakage is looks white. The nails otherwise look normal in color. They will fall off soon. Now I see the same thing happening to a big toe nail. What could this signify? Thanks.

My daughter has had two toenails come off and now both big toenails are loose at the bottom. Also, two fingernails are partially off. I took her to the doctor today and he said it was probably something hereditary and I am not so sure about that. Please let me know what you found out.

There is a disease in my Family called Epidermalysis Bullosa. Everyone who is affected has lost some of there fingernails and toenails. If you look up the disease it can be heartbreaking but we all have a very mild form and the worst oart for us in the fingernail thing. If that is all that will happen then we are happy to be healthy other wise. I am affected and always have on artificial nails kept really short. It really does suck but it is something I have to deal with.

my year-and-a-half old grandchild's fingernails and now toenails are beginning to fall off. We do not know why. Does anyone have an answer?

my daughter had this happen when she was about three she lost two toenails and three fingernails. I took he to the doc and i was told to give her multivitamins and keep lots of fruit in her. It was a vitamin deficiency.

I was cutting my toenails and it just came away. I now have a bald small toe throbbing at the side of my foot. ( It could have been the very hot 2hour bath I had). regardless my foot is very sore.

I just wanted to say one thing concerning the loss of toenails- whatever it is apparently folic acid helps , especially in young children. okay, now I shall hobble off to the shop and get some.

Dear Missy, Please post your reply what treatment was given to your daughter, as now my daughter is suffering with the same symptoms.

Please reply to ****

**edited by moderator**

thanks

my daughters nails and toe nails are coming off at the cutical the same as missys grandaughter. about threee weeks ago she had several layers of skin peel off her hands and feet as well. it was really bad i had to cut the skin off with sizzors. the doc told me it was a virius and it would heal on its own. now her toe nails and fingernails are coming off. if any one has any ideal as to what this is please contact me

we're taking her back to the doctors on the 2nd but i have a feeling he's not going to know what it is either. thanks amanda

MY DAUGHTER IS 5 AND LOOSING 9 FINGERNAILS AND SEVERAL TOENAILS STARTING AT THE CUITCAL. I TOOK HER TO THE DOCTORS AND HE SEEMED TO THINK THAT IT WAS CAUSED BY BEING IN THE SNOW. BASICAL HE SAID SHE IS ALLERGIC TO SNOW/COLD WEATHER.. WHICH MAY BE THE CASE.... HOWEVER THERE ARE SEVERAL OTHER THINGS THAT CAN MAKE HER LOOSE HER NAILS AS WELL. IF YOUR CHILD IS LOOSING HER/HIS NAILS TAKE THEM TO THE DOCTORS AS SOON AS YOU CAN. IT CAN BE A FORM OF LUKEMA CAUSEING IT TO HAPPEN. AND SEVERAL OTHER NASTY DIESSES. I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT ALL HE SAID IT COULD BE HOWEVER, ITS IMPORTANT TO HAVE THE CHILD SEEN AT ONCE. IF ANYONE ELSE HAS ANY REPONSES PLEASE POST THEM SO I MAY SEE WHAT OTHER DOCTORS TELL YOU. AS I AM NOT SURE THAT MY DAUGHTER IS ALLERGIC TO SNOW. THANKS ABUNCH

Hey, Ive lost several toenails throughout my childhoos In fact at one point all ten of them came off. i was given some pill to help , now I still have some problems. my nails go thick, especially in the cold weather and today I lost a teonail off my small toe, but it doesnt hurt so it doesnt bother me . it doesnt necessarily mean your child has leukeamia, but may have a vitamin defiecency of somesort

hi there my 2 yr old son had the exact same problem we took him to hosp and the dr said he had hand to foot to mouth, he was given antibiotics and thankfully is fine now, its worth getting your child checked out at the hosp, as my gp wasnt sure what it was, but gave antibiotics as he knew it was an infection, the dr at the hospital confirmed what it was and told me to keep on with the antibiotics the gp had prescribed, hope I've helped

Okay so my son has this happening as well. please do some research on Kawasaki Disease. This is what my son has. If your child is showing any more of the symptoms please call your docter imediatly as your child will need to be hospitalized and givin some special meds. This disease effects the heart more the corinary artery and causes sweilling so high doses of asprin are used. Please look into this as it is very dangerous.

My 21 month old son has the same thing. He is losing three of his fingernails for no apparent reason. I've been doing some research and it can be related to Hand Foot Mouth Disease. My son had it a little over a month ago. From what I can gather it can occur within 4-6 weeks after having the disease. (Also, the same thing is happening to one of my niece's fingernails. She also had HFMD at the same time as my son.)

"There have been reports of fingernail and toenail loss occurring mostly in children within 4 weeks of their having hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). At this time, it is not known whether the reported nail loss is or is not a result of the infection. However, in the reports reviewed, the nail loss has been temporary and nail growth resumed without medical treatment."

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/enterovirus/hfhf.htm

I have found several sites that say the same thing. This is just one.

Thought this might help.

My 4 year old boy's nails are starting to fall off. The first one that started to fall, he told us his nail had been slammed in a door at daycare and I thought nothing of it until I just saw about 5 more starting to peel. I started to panic at firsts untill I started reading some of the other postings. My son had Hand, Foot & Mouth disease about 6 weeks ago - the skin on his hands and feet started to peel about 2 weeks ago and then it made sense. My husband had also had a mild case of the Hand, foot & mouth and he just looked at his nails and they too are starting to peel. So if your child recently had a severe rash an his hands feet and even bum; good chance that is the cause of the nails falling off too.

I agree with hand foot and mouth disease causing the nail loss. My son had it 5 weeks ago, his skin peeled on his hands and feet about 2 weeks ago and now this. However my health food store has recommended vitamins and minerals also.