I have had a sore throat for almost two weeks and throbbing on the right side of my neck along with a swollen gland on the right side as well. Only the right side of my throat hurts, but not too bad. I went to the doc 5 days ago, I had a slight fever and he also took an X-ray of lungs and told me I had bronchitus, although I have not had ANY coughing whatsoever! He put me on antibiotics and Its been five days and still no improvment in my throat or throbbing in my neck. I am scared because I have smoked for 12 years and recently quit and I fear that I have something life threatening. I am 38 years of age and Im terrified! Can someone please give me any info on this matter? I also have a white bump on my tonsils.

I had the same problems have you found out anything yet?

Any sore throat that persist over a week indicates some viral infection, seek a second and third medical opinion, May help in killing something bigtime

Hello! I too had the same exact problems and was extremely terrified. I went to the doctor and hospital so much that my family thought I was a hypochondriac and I started to think so too because I could not get rid of this. I took all the medications prescribed to me and nothing improved. Finally after nearly 6 months of these non-stop symptoms.. One doctor told me it was Acid reflux. I was so mad when I left because I knew that couldn't be it. I never had heartburn! Like usual, I decide to try the Nexim prescribed to prove them wrong yet again. Two weeks later , the symptoms had completely disappeared. When I went back to the follow-up, I was told that acid reflux erosions can cause painful spasms in your throat, naturally some soreness, tightness,dry mouth, and the lump in the throat feeling. He listed a lot of other symptoms too. I think this is so common that it is actually overlooked if there isn't persistant heartburn. Hope this helps someone.

ig et the same thing n left side and soreness goes up side of head near temples and near the top like i've banged it getting into the car...ever find out what was wrong with yours? i got this in jan and they said it as sinus.

I'm glad to hear a person had relief taking antacids. I had persistent sore throat and took antibiotics and even steroids with no relief a year ago. My doctor suspected acid reflux so I had a barium swallow test which was normal. It then went away completely and mysteriously. that was oct 2006. Now a year later it has come back, worse than ever. So, my doctor thinks it is a virus. Still I consulted an ENT specialist and had an MRI. Came back normal. I have a followup on monday. It has to be a virus since it has recurred at the onset of winter. I think I had it actually 2 years ago also. But, this year it is very severe and lasting 6 weeks. Very distressing and tiring. Drink herbal tea and water - helps somewhat.

One day I woke up with a slight sore throat problem. Thought nothing of it til that night it started to get harder to swallow. I thought I was coming down with a cold, so I drank lots of water and went to bed. When I woke up, I could barely get out of bed, it hurt so bad. COuldnt swallow on that side and was in lots of pain. Also had a 102.4 fever. I didnt go to the dr that day. Thought it would go away. It of course didnt. I went to the Dr the next day and he sait I might have mumps or tonsilitis. I told him my tonsils have been out for years. I'm 30 years old. He prescribed me Metronidazole(generic) and sent me over for some blood tests. My white count came back ok. I stayed home from work for about a week including the weekend before it went away. I was miserable. I broke out in a rash and blamed the medicine but I'm not so sure now that it wasnt part of the "disease" side effects. I kind of stopped taking it and it went away on its own. Still dont really know what it was but now I am getting the same symptoms on my Left side. I still have the partial medicine from the first time. I don't think the medicine works. I believe it has to go away on its own. Ask your doctor about Metronidazole if you think about it. If it didnt work, then time is the only saving grace.

Hope this helps.

I'm relieved just knowing other poeple have had the same problem. I know for a fact that antibiotics do not work for this...good luck.

Well its 5:30 in the morning and its so hard for me to swallow it's actually waking me up in my sleep!

4 weeks ago a friend of mine had a "cold". Before she was even sick we hung out and I guess I caught whatever she had before she realized she had it! A week after she was sick, I had a minor sore throat. I went home and as soon as I got there I was VERY VERY sick. Fever, my body ached so bad I could barely take a shower! I was dizzy, light headed, etc. I went to bed, woke up and felt fine the next morning.

A few days later just the left side of my throat hurt along with severe pain in my ear. I dont have health insurance so I went to the Pharmacist to see if she had an idea what was wrong and if I should spend the $100+ to go to the doctor. She said it was allergies and gave me ear drops and told me to take advil! So I rolled my eyes and sceptically did what she said. Once again, went to bed and felt fine in the morning.

The following few days I had mixed symptoms, always changing. The only thing that was consistent was EVERY NIGHT at around 9, my sore throat was back! I mean, it was a normal one, not on one side but it was extremely difficult to swallow. But every morning it would be gone and I would feel fine. I also lost my voice for 4 days but I guess that just comes with a sore throat. I started taking medicine that I had left over from a bronchial infection, which it more of a pain reliever than an antibiotic so its helped but it hasnt resolved the problem.

So yesterday once again, my throat started to get sore around 7pm but this time on my RIGHT side. I tried the ear drops (even though I didnt have pain, I thought it might help since all that stuff is connected) and took my normal medicine, but was restless all night because the pain was so bad every time I tried to swallow! Now here I am, still not able to swallow, wide awake at the wee hours of the morning! I'm not necessarily worried since so many people are sick right now but I would LOVE some possible remedies for this pain. I'm also curious to know why its only on one side!

Also, my friend (the one I caught this from) just went to the doctor again and he said it was bronchitis and a nasal infection but she isnt contagious. Well thats BS because about 10 people I know have it!! It's just really annoying. I'm leaving for vacation to the bahamas on Sat and would really like to feel better by then! Any advice on how to get rid of this on my own (like I said, I dont have health insurance right now) would be extremely appreciated!

Check your Thiroid

I have a sor ethroat on one side too, my left side and my ear hurts too. My mom who is a nurse looked in my throat and said it was white and she thinks I have strep. To the person who said they broke out in a rash...i read on the internet scarlet fever is strep throat with a rash.. and fever.. maybe that's it? I am also worried b/c I smoke too, have been for about 3 years... maybe we should just all stop so we don't have to worry over stuff like this lol!~~

Do you have cats? It's unlikely but I've seen a few cases lately of Cat Scratch fever. Bartonella henslae. Basically goes to the closest lymp and causes swelling and pain. Hopefully you've gone to a doctor already.

Chronic fatigue syndrome

I had the same problem, I decided to sleep with a clove of raw garlic in my mouth and it completely went away. If you can handle the burning sensation, garlic is definitely the way to go.

Hi - Im wondering if the throat and ear pain is actually nerve pain - glossopharyngeal neuralgia. Its quite rare but that doesnt mean it is such an unlikely diagnosis. I have it .The main symptoms are one sided sore throat, which feels swollen and pain in corresponding ear, sometimes all of one side of face/head can be sore and swallowing or touching the face can trigger sharp, stabbing intense pain . Sometimes I get pins and needles in my face before the onset of pain. I seem to get a flare lasting a couple of days every two or three months, and then it subsides.

I have an autoimmune illness and sometimes the neuralgia is related - probably in my case, but Im waiting to see a rheumatologist.

Hope this helps any one!