Eleven volunteers rode stationary bikes until they lost 1.8 percent of their body weight. They then drank skim milk, water or Powerade.
Scientists measured fluid retention (less urine=better hydration) and found that after 5 hours, milk drinkers retained 69% of fluid, water drinkers retained 36%, Powearade drinkers 38%). The sodium and potassium in milk may help cells retain water better, so less ends up going right through you.

i would be skeptical of that study -- the test population is so small (only 11 people?) do you have a link to the article?

I really can say that this study can be reliable one, because number of people involved in the study is too low. You need to have larger number of people so you can say that the study is reliable. However, milk contains water, and sport drinks contain water also. So it is little doubtful that milk will maintain most of hydration in the body. Can you give us some more details from the study? Do you drink milk after you do exercises? I usually drink water, because it is most helpful in my case. And I know that many people do the same. Sport drinks are also very popular with people who do the workouts and exercises.