I was diagnosed with multinodular goiter back in November of last year. Since then I have opted to not get the surgery, even though I was advised too. One of the nodules they biopsied came back as benign and the other one nondiagnostic. I have read that nondiagnostic can be cysts. Mine showed up as apparently all solid on the ultrasound. Has anyone else run into this same problem? Thanks.

Hi:
I had just about the same issues. I opted to have a complete thyroidectomy a year ago and I'm glad that I did. I had four medical opinions first. Three out of the four advised against a partial removal. The total removal eliminates any chance of thyroid problems, i.e. cancer in the future. I have had no post-op problems. My recovery period was in the normal range. I take 1 pill a day to replace the hormone and that's it. I was told that when the invasive (needle) testing is done on the thyroid gland periodically (this is when they extract cells for testing), they cannot possibly test every cell. Therefore, there is a high chance that that something critical could be missed. Make a list of the reasons why you would not have the surgery and then make a list of the benefits of the surgery. Then you are really making an informed decision. Good luck...Please let us know how things turn out for you.