I have a friend that had thyroid cancer and thyroidectomy in 99. In 2007, her doctor discovered that it had grown back, among other complications (the original surgeon left staples in the wound, to name one). They did no radiation. In April of 08, she had her 2nd thyroid removed. They told her she could have radiation, but didn't recommend as they had gotten all of the tissue and there was no cancer detected in the latest thyroid. Last week, at her follow-up sonogram (?) the doctor discovered that again, the thyroid had regrown, this time, there are 2 1" growths on either side.

Her doctor showed no real concern, and did not recommend radiation, but gave no other options. Can you suggest where she could start?

I'm amazed that no radioiodine treatment was recommended. I just completed mine yesterday. the purpose of the radiation treatment is to destroy any remaining thyroid cells after surgical removal. It is not possible for the surgeon to remove ALL of the thyroid cells. Some stay behind. Thyroid cells are unique in the body for their ability to absorb iodine. No other cells in your body absorb iodine. A radioactive isotope of iodine is introduced to your body and the stray thyroid cells absorb it and are destroyed. i would not trust this doctor.

Your friend is very lucky!!! What has her diet consisted of? I'm hoping to help a friend of mine regrow her thyroid after its complete removal....

She is in need of a serious detox! She needs to increase her intake of iodine, selenium, vitamin e and zinc and she could get her thyroid in perfect functioning order and not have to be on synthetics her whole life!

Coconut oil is GREAT for helping the thyroid function properly, she should start with that and then go see a homeopathic, naturopathic doc.

A lot of people dont know this but we are all deficient and some severly deficient in iodine, dont believe me? Get yourself tested, dont be surprised though you will have to put up a fight with your doc to get it done, he will tell you that you dont need it but he is wrong! do a search and see for yourself what i am talking about.... there are so many things that counteract iodine as in they inhibit the uptake of iodine. Like fluoride, soy, broccoli, cauliflower, peanuts, just to name a few. Iodine is a heavy metal chelator and will help your body excrete the toxic chemicals that are building up in our bodies. email me for more info and also PLEASE tell me what your friends diet has been over the past couple years! Thanks so much! Nichole ****

**edited by moderator** **e-mails are not allowed**

I have a very similar problem...except I have had three surgeries and radiated iodine after the 3rd surgery and now just discovered a fourth growth. If I continue on this path I will have had surgery on an average of every 3 years for the past 12 years. I have been to universities and there is a strong possibility that the pathology report has been incorrect. Twice I have had hurthle cell suspicions. I am in the process of contacting someone at the Mayo clinic, because I cannot continue having surgery every 3 years. The Mayo clinic has a trial using alchohol injections instead of surgery...so I'll see where this leads...hopefully not another SURGERY!!!!! Good luck to your friend...don't give up...keep asking questions.

I have had surgery twice most recently 2 1/2 years ago & discovered a few months ago it has grown back again with a cyst inside of it- I've been to 2 specialists who tell me surgery is not an option since I already have a paralyzed vocal cord from the last one! No special diet required to grow it back - I don't eat red meat, pork, fish etc... I will eat chicken as a source of protein. Lots of veggies & pasta!! Any clinical trial info anyone has would be great! I too am suspicious of the pathology results since the surgeon thought for sure it was cancer based on it looking calcified so he went ahead & removed a parathyroid gland & lymph nodes too! Pathology was negative though... Hmm who can you trust?

This article gives me hope i had a thyroidectomy 6months ago and i dont fell normal at all. I didnt have the radiation and was hoping my thyroid grew back but was scared that it would be cancerus. my nodule was caught at a verry early stage. let me know the update on your friend please any info would help o.O

The purpose of the radiation treatment is to destroy any remaining thyroid cells after surgical removal. It is not possible for the surgeon to remove ALL of the thyroid cells. Some stay behind. Thyroid cells are unique in the body for their ability to absorb iodine. No other cells in your body absorb iodine. A radioactive isotope of iodine is introduced to your body and the stray thyroid cells absorb it and are destroyed. i would not trust this doctor.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

try taking iodine - i had thyroidectomy and ratioactive iodine 16 years ago - started taking iodine about 1 and a half years ago - just found out yesterday that my thyroid is growing back - found this our because of high t3 levels

I had my throid out five years ago and am experiencing severe pain in my neck and problems swallowing and talking especially later in the day. My doctor did my bloods last week and discovered that my thyroid levels are sky high. Sounds like my thyroid has grown back. Sick of the pain and would like to know if it is really necessary to have my new thyroid removed...again!

stop giving inaccurate advice based on information your dr has give you - you have no idea what your talking about!
it is a blessing to have tissue regrowth in the thyroid.
dont destroy glands, get to the root cause of what your doing to cause them to be diseased and cleanse them.
please check out Dr Robert Morse Youtube on cleansing and regenerating the glands, organs and entire body system.

I had RIT in 2001 and I hate that I'm going to be dependent on meds, problem is I was just diagnosed with celiac I've been sick my entire life because it destroyed my bowls and now I'm fourty and diabetic if my dr would have checked more she would have seen that and not killed my thyroid and being dependent on meds is not easy so please get a second opinion folks.

Hi had my thyroid removed with the radiation and was fine took my sythroid pills, found out now I have peanut allergies/nut can't have anything to do with them, wish I had check out more options, but at that point I just wanted it out of me, hair falling out, dry skin, felt something was choking me, dizziness, forgetfulness. I was at the point I just wanted to get better... so now I don't know if it has grown back, but having the same symptoms, going to check it out tomorrow, wish me luck and will be checking back to this site if I do, lot of helpful suggestion here !

That is not always the truth either! I am post surgery 4 yrs and had Hashimotos and hypo and cancer. Just found out thyroid is growing back, have an awesome Dr now and he says not good bc it can transfer bad cells other places (in body of course) and possibly still carry cancer. Looking to remove again with iodine after. So you too need to watch what you say. Be nice, it's an open forum.

I have been on synthroid for 22 years. I had a total thyroidectomy in 1999 (while pregnant with twins!). I had it out again in 2007 after it wrapped itself around my vocal cords. Now, it has grown back a third time. I am in the process of doing all the biopsy stuff, but already have an appointment with my ENT to schedule surgery. We will also most likely do an ablation. DO NOT want to do this again.  Not worried about what it is, just want the mass gone, and then go from there.  I work with Oncologists, and none of them think it is cancerous due to the fact that it is soft tissue.  I will be glad to get the new regrowth gone.

Hi Tpeack, your post was very helpful to me but if you wouldn't mind I would like to ask some questions. I had a total thyroidectomy 31 years ago due to cancer. At that time they did it in two surgeries two weeks apart due to biopsy results. It has now grown back and the doctors want to remove it again. Five years after the thyroidectomy I had Hodgkins and more surgery on my neck. Because of all the scar tissue and fear of vocal cord damage they are being very cautious. Was the second surgery harder than the first, was recovery time longer, and did you have any damage to your vocal cords or parathyroid due the surgery? Hope you made out well with the third time. Thanks for any help you can give.