My son was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. His doctor insists to do more test, because he wants to find out what type of hyperthyroidism my son has. He also said (the doctor) that therapy is not the same for each type of this and that is his second reason for further test. How many types of hyperthyroidism are there?

There are several types of hyperthyroidism. There is Grave's disease also known as diffuse toxic goiter. Then, there is a toxic modular goiter also called multinodular goiter and finally there is thyroiditis. The best known thyroiditis is Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Thyroiditis also includes subacute granulamatous tyroiditis and silent lymphocytic thyroiditis. I hope your son gets better with treatment.

This is very interesting question and nobody really asks about type because they have their names like Graves’ disease, toxic nodular goiter and thyroiditis. And every type is different and has its own symptom but mainly they are different by the cause and consequences. Most often is Graves’ disease and it is caused by antibody which stimulates the thyroid too much. And when your thyroid is stimulated too much it produces too much of thyroid hormone. You have to know that this condition mostly affects middle aged women and it is often common with other family members.
Is your son on any medication right now? How old is your son?
I hope that this helped a bit.