I have involuntary muscles spasms in my sleep, where my entire body will spasm for a momment. It happens every time I sleep, I believe, and seems to be once every 20 minutes or so, but I'm asleep and have to rely on others to tell me. I don't wake up during the spasms and often spasm during the day as well (but usually my foot or one leg or a finger, not my entire body- that happens probably once a day and lasts a second as well). Any idea what it may be? I've searched online for a couple hours and can't find anything that's quite my problem. I'm not entirely worried about the spasms during the day, but the two might be related. I was worried about seizures or brain tumors or something that could be causing them. I know stress and dehidration can cause them, but I've had them for years, so I doubt that that's my problem.

Gosh, I've also had eye and eyebrow twitching for at least 4 years, that might just be a nervous twitch though...

I to have muscle in my leg moving or vibrating like my cell phone is going off.I believe it to be stress and lack of sleep.if you have had this for years and it hasnt gotten any worse then I wouldnt think it would be a brain tumor but you should get a mri just to be on the safe side.try lots of sleep and more electrolites in your diet.maybe its a nutritional lack,calsium might help also

I take a lot of calcium suplements, but electrolites might help. It's summer, so I'm more relaxed than I usually am, and when I'm too stressed, I just don't sleep at all (which would be tonight). There's a frontal lobe thing that sounds similar, but I've always worried about brain tumors with my really bad head aches, so having an MRI is probably best.

If You said you had them for many years. Surely I can assure u to rest your mind that its not cancer dear. I f it wasa tumour or somethin you have been dead for years .

I think your problem is ver common. Sometimes I feel it like when Im dreamin Imfalling from a mountain and I kick my legs during sleep.

I think its nothin to worry about but if it still bothers you Goand have a check up with a neuorogist

regards,

From Malta

I too have similar involuntary muscles spasms in my sleep, however my entire body will spasm for the full night. The spasm can begin as I relax in bed, whist im awake and can last until I wake the following morning. Often I wake and its like my head is awake but my body is paralysed - believe me this is scary.
My sleep is what I refer to as 'death sleep' because I hear nothing (my husband can get up and go to work and I don't know he's out the bed, and he is not quiet). When I am awake and rise from bed I too find that I have weakness in my legs and often fear falling down the stairs.
Similarly I have the same weakness in my arms and have problems lifting weight, like shopping bags. Shopping has gone from a fun pastime to an ordeal i'd rather avoid.
I also have pains in my lower back which, seem to shoot out down my legs and up my back and into my head, also branching out down my right arm. My right hand side seems to be the worst but there are lesser elements occurring on my left hand side.

Sorry to go on and on but if there is anyone out there who has any idea what is going on with me it would be great coz my GP and the neurologist at my local hospital have no idea.
Although they seem to know I need to be prescribed - Pregablin and Diazapam.

i woke up one day with those symptoms, shooting pain from my back and pain from my left shoulder down. I was immobile because of the pain. I decided to call a chiropractor. turns out I have a pinched nerve in my spine and its affecting the rest of my body. my body had spasms during my sleep. the spasms also resulted in all my muscles in my body to be stiff and tight as if i had a full body workout.

three sessions with the chiropractor and I was doing my everyday things.

I know exactly what you mean. I had a dream where i was carrying apples and then i dropped them and my arms jerked away (which woke me up). It's happened several other times and it's quite annoying...

i have the same symptoms ,but in daytime there is a contraction in my neck &shoulders for a second.

I found the answer to the problem. It is caused by the flammatories in farm raised fish and certain cuts of meat. I suffered from this problem for years until I figured it out. When I cut out eating these foods the problem went away. When ever I eat theses foods, the problem comes back. It takes 3 or 4 days to come out of my system when I eat these foods for the problem to stop.

If your female hormones can cause this especially imbalances, my mum gets spasms in her legs and feet every day, or weird pricking feelings in her feet, whenever she starts relaxing she gets it, it can also be the sign of a deficiency too, from what i've read before it can be a sign of a vitimin d, iron or magnesium deficiency which causes muscle spasms, but it could simply just be hormonal, my mums had these spasms most her life, i've started getting the odd eye spasms from tiredness or from stresses on the body, the ball of my foot on my left foot seems to get quite sore after standing on it and walking on it too and that can cause spasms too, mainly in my right eye and i have PCOS which is from my mums side too.