I am 49 yrs. old and have been having stomach/digestive problems for a year now. Had a stomach scan/xrays/ultra sound of gallbladder and liver and pancreas, all where fine. The spasms have progressed over this year and starting this past weekend, they wont go away and sometimes happen every minute with our without food. I had blood test and urine test all was ok. Im going to a gastro doctor monday to request a scope of the bowels and stomach again.. This time for the stomach maybe have them do the one where you shallow a tube with the camara on the end of it.
Does anyone have any clue as to what might be wrong with me?
Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated. I can't eat or drink without pain. I have to take pain med that the emer. room gave me yesterday.

Thanks
Gayle

Hey,

Did you find out anything from your gastro. My daughter has been in severe upper abdominal pain since Feb. She is also having to take narcotic pain meds every night and sometimes during the day because the pain is so bad. Done all the test. Nothing!!!!!! She had her gallbladder removed when she was nine and has been severely and chronically nausested since. Has been on homebound for school every year. She as recently developed the pain and bloating and sometimes throwing up. She is 17 now. Anybody have a clue?????????????

Joy

Hi Gayle

I'm a 35 year old woman and I seem to be going through the same symptoms. I've been to three Doctors including the E.R. I was doubled over with pain to the point of passing out and I still waited in the waiting room for 3 hours. Each Doctor said something different, 1st one said Gal Bladder - blood work eliminated that. The 2nd one said - Stomach Flu gave me some minuscule pill, The 3rd one said gastritis - take some Pepto! I still have pain and at times its extremely severe. I have a burning sensation in my stomach, and at times spasms which are so severe I almost fall over. I can eat but I know within 5 minutes the spasms will hit severely so I don't bother eating. Drinking liquids is worse, so I've stuck to Popsicles. If you find an answer please contact me ~ I would love to see if the similarities produce the same answer. I hope everything works out for the best, and if I find a possible answer I will post it! God Bless!

i GET STOMACH SPASMS TOO. I don't think they are as severe as they have been in the past at least. Have you looked into the quality of water that you are drinking? Also, are you eating enough greens? I now eat more greens to hlp nourish the stomach. I find that cooking meat and greens in a stew can make the greens much more edible.

My spasms used to happen during the day, related to food I ate, I believe. Now I will get them every so often when I try to sleep. It feels like I got punched in the gut when it hits.

I am concerned about parasites. Eliminating sugars can maybe help.

What kind of meds have you been given? I've had stomach spasm issues for years and finally it got so bad that I was bent over in pain and couldn't leave the house or eat anything without having issues. I went to a new doctor that gave me Bentyl, which worked wonders! And I can tell it works because as soon as I stopped taking the meds the pain came right back. Needless to say I went back on them after a few days of that and have been fine ever since. I'm sure my issue may not be as severe as some other people on here but it seemed to work for me.

Hi everyone:

It's comforting to read your posts and know that I am not alone in suffering from stomach spasms. I am a 33-yr-old woman who's never had a history of any stomach problems. In fact, I used to brag that I could eat anything - including slightly spoiled foods (gross, yes, I know, but it was when I was young and stupid) - and never suffer from any stomachaches or diarrhea. Then all of a sudden, without any forewarning, I suffered my first stomach spasm the first week of January of this new year (Jan. 6th) and I thought I was going to die. On a pain scale of 0 to 10, with 0 being no pain and 10 being maximum pain, I rated my pain at a 10, and truly feel that the childbirth contractions I'd experienced before giving birth to my son were more tolerable than the unrelenting intense pain I felt with my stomach spasm. I was doubled over in pain, could hardly breathe (so I found myself automatically doing lamaze breathing just to keep breathing), was drenched in sweat, and felt my hands and feet get very cold from lack of blood circulation. I thought about calling 911 but balked - I knew that I'd just be given some pain meds and be made to wait hours in the freezing emergency room before ever being seen by someone who, after seeing me, would probably do nothing more than prescribe more pain meds. Fortunately for me, my husband is an acupuncturist whose clinic is near our home so I called him and told him that his wife was just about going to die. He left his patients at the clinic, turned on his emergency blinkers, and got home within 15 minutes. After some heavy duty acupuncture, drinking warm pear puree slowly (to help digest any food that may have caused the indigestion), and slowly walking around the house, I started to burp alot (the taste that came up was that of some tough hamburger meat I had eaten for lunch several hours earlier) and I felt my stomach slowly relax. The whole episode from start to finish lasted about an hour, and when the pain was gone, I felt whole again, as if nothing had ever happened. It was the strangest thing. I did, however, feel a lingering soreness in my stomach after the stomach spasms stopped and felt so exhausted that I had to continue to rest the next day. I also ate nothing but boiled rice porridge (b/c it's very easy to digest) for dinner and for breakfast the next day to baby my exhausted stomach. The day after the episode, I carefully chewed my lunch and waited to see if the stomach spasm would reoccur, but it did not, and it seemed my stomach was back to normal function. I was thrilled and wrote off the episode as a one time occurrence due to indigestion of the tough hamburger meat I'd had for lunch the previous day. However, my husband warned me to be careful b/c people who suffer a stomach spasm once are at high risk for suffering from continued stomach spasms. He was right.

This past Saturday, Feb. 5th, I suffered my second stomach spasm. It happened almost exactly one month since my first episode, and at approx. the same time of day, ~5:40pm. I had eaten some tough bean sprouts for lunch and remembered thinking as I was chewing them that they seemed to be rather tough. I felt my stomach slowly start to knot in pain and instinctively knew that it was the stirrings of another stomach spasm. Within a minute or two, my pain level was at a 5 or 6, so I told my husband who was out shopping with me. He sat me down at one of the tables in the food court and started giving me acupuncture as well as a cup of warm water to sip. I started to feel better, burped (the taste that came up was of bean sprout), and felt even better as my pain level went down to a 1. I walked to the car and we started to drive home when my spasms started up again and the pain level shot back up to a 6. I pressed some acupuncture seeds my husband had taped to my ears and started to feel a little better. I then burped several times and felt much better as the pain went down to a 1. Once we got home, my spasms acted up yet again and my pain level shot back up to a 5. I sipped hot water and walked around the house, then sat down on the couch for another round of acupuncture. I started to feel better as the spasms subsided approx. one hour after first starting - just like my first episode back in January. I could fully inhale without feeling like I was punched in the gut, but there remained a lingering dull/achy pain. I walked 10 minutes on our treadmill b/c I felt somewhat uncomfortable - as if I had eaten too much - and shortly afterwards had to run to the bathroom to throw up. After throwing up three times, I no longer felt uncomfortable and felt SO much better. Dinner was rice porridge again, and I should have had it again the next morning (Sunday) to continue to baby my stomach but felt I was okay enough to have some oatmeal with bananas instead. I was wrong. I started to feel some dull stomach pain later in the morning and ended up throwing up everything after a few spoonfuls of soup attempted during lunch. After throwing up, I felt much better, but my stomach felt very sore and slightly cramped. After getting some more acupuncture and sleeping for most of the day, I felt much better in the evening. However, I wasn't taking any chances any more, and ate nothing but rice porridge for dinner.

It is now Monday. I woke up early this morning feeling hungry and exhausted, but fearful of eating food. I had a cup of warm soymilk and went back to sleep. Woke up mid-morning and had some rice porridge. Had some seaweed soup (seaweed cooked in beef broth) for lunch, since seaweed is supposed to be easy on the digestive tract while full of nutritious minerals at the same time. Mid-afternoon, I got hungry again and braved a 4-oz serving of YoBaby vanilla yogurt. So far so good - all the food has stayed down and there's been no further stomach pains. However, now that I have suffered from a second episode of stomach spasms, I am now even more curious to find out why this is happening. In the meantime, to nurse my stomach back to good health, our plan is for me to continue to get acupuncture every night and drink herbal tea to strengthen my stomach, as well as eat easily digestable foods for now to keep things easy on my stomach.

I'm sorry for this long post, but I wanted to share in detail my experience with stomach spasms b/c it's really consoled me to read detailed reports from others whose descriptions of their experience sound very similar to mine. In short, what's helped me feel better during a stomach spasm is getting acupuncture, drinking warm water or pear puree (I'm sure that something like a warm papaya puree would help as well, since papaya is supposed to be very good for digestion), and walking around (if possible). After the stomach spasm has passed, what's helped me feel better is to place a warm pack on my stomach, eat rice porridge for at least two meals following the episode, and get lots of rest. If the urge hits you, throwing up may also be a good option since the food that your stomach was unable to digest may continue to sit in your stomach, leaving you in a continuously uncomfortable state of feeling overly full. It's VERY important to continue to baby your stomach back to full health before trying to get it working at full capacity again. Otherwise, you could break down your stomach even more and end up suffering the long term effects of a damaged stomach.

I hope this post can be of some help to someone. I was very concerned and distraught after my first episode, but felt so much better after reading other people's accounts online, so I am just doing my part by posting about my personal experience.

Hey All, I am a 27 year old female, very physically active, don't drink alcohol, smoke, and eat a pretty healthy diet with very limited intake of dairy products, fast food and no sodas. I thought I'd be the last person going through stomach pains because of my healthy lifestyle, but I too am constantly suffering after eating/drinking anything now in the last year. Sometimes it goes away and some days its so bad, my boyfriend had to take me to the E.R. twice.

Again, like all of you I went through hundreds of tests. Blood work, numerous ultra sound scans, even x-rays. All of my work came out with a clean bill of health. I went to a gastroenterologist and had the camera up my butt to check my colon and again, clean bill of health. I find the pain is worse right when I wake up out of bed, and my bladder and the LEFT side of my stomach, just under my rib cage always has this strong, VERY uncomfortable burning sensation. Once I urinate, it releases the pressure and burning just a BIT. Diarrhea and bloating is a constant problem for me too.

Finally, I went to a naturopath after another friend of mine had some success with her health issues, so she gave me the number to this clinic. I went, and after I explained to the naturopath my symptoms, she suspected I had an allergy to latex. I had no idea there was latex in foods, (such as apples, carrots, wheat and rye-- all which have been staple foods of my diet). I also started taking pro-biotics on a more regular basis (two pills a day). I went a week eliminating those foods and my side pain WENT AWAY!!! And this was MAJOR for me, because the side pain was affecting my everyday life for over a year. I couldn't believe it and it seemed too good to be true, so I had some carrot soup (with fresh carrots) to test it out like a scientist on my own body. Within two hours, I broke out in hives on my neck (which has NEVER happened before) and my side pain was throbbing like crazy and I spent the rest of the night curled up in a fetal position in bed. So I went another two weeks without "foods with latex" in it. No side pain. No stomach spasms.

Then I ate some wheat pasta again to try it out because I just couldn't get over THIS being a cause of all my pain, since I've gone my whole life being allergic to anything and I eat alot too (since I work out a lot, I'm always hungry). Whaddya know.. the side pain came back and I had yet another uncomfortable night and it takes about 2-3 full days for the side pain to fully go away again. I'm convinced, a food allergy has developed overtime, and that this was a root cause to my severe stomach pains that always led me to the hospital. I think my body was just at its maximum capacity of being able to try to digest everything it was trying to fight at the same time. I don't know why I found it so hard to believe it was a food allergy, but thats also probably because I can be a bit suspicious of things that seem "to good to be true".

I've been a month without wheat but have fell off the wagon 2-3 times (and have suffered for it), because EVERYTHING seems to have wheat in it. Everything with a flour base you have to check for wheat. It can be a bit of a life adjustment in terms of some eating habits, but if you are up for it, I'd suggest giving it a TRY for a week and test this theory out. Afterall, all of our food is more genetically modified with chemicals we have no clue about, and it makes sense that our bodies are rejecting it. I have NEVER been a gluten-free, lactose-free, blah blah person in my life, but now I'm a believer. (Still a bit skeptical, as its only been a month), but still.. its the first time in over a year I haven't suffered on a day-to-day basis.

Check this link out about latex containing foods

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I'm still not fully cured as I still have that morning burning sensation, but hearing other people having success with their similar symptoms will make me feel more hopeful too and less freaked out. Trust me, I've scared myself into thinking I had all types of cancer and worst case scenerios in the last year. I'm still on a journey to healing, so maybe in a few months, I'll keep you posted where I'm at and see what happens.

Thanks for reading and sharing! Jess

Thank you SO much for this post! I keep thinking I'm going crazy....I have random stomach spasms with all the same symptoms/feeling as you do only no vomiting. I appreciate the helpful hints. I am finally going to a gastro doctor...I cannot handle this anymore...lack of sleep, super sore stomach, burping, exhaustion afterwords. I too have found herbal tea to be very helpful. Good luck to you and thanks for the info!

On a rare occasion, I get a strange sensation in my gut, in the area of the stomach. It is after I eat. It seemed to hit more in the evenings, but I just got one today after lunch.  It's a very quick/short spasms like feeling, almost like someone shocked my stomach, and at the same time I get this sensation all the way up to my brain. Almost a tingle like sensation. And the feeling I got afterwards would be similar to if I had just went on a huge down slope of a rollercoaster.  But this feeling also made me think it was a one-second panic attack, although I have no anxiety or fears, it just hits out of nowhere.  Not sure if this is a spams or not. Maybe it causes the vagel nerve to react and why I also get a sensation all the way to my brain.  Not sure if this relates to what anyone else here has experienced. I can't find any answers as to what it could be. 

Thanks.

Jesus guys, have you all been checked for liver stones, gall stones/ diseases? Chances are you have a blockage with a hiatal hernia. Don't stop until a doctor literally watches your food digest and sees what triggers what. For kicks, get tested for celiac and chronns. Good luck.

I just read your post and thought I was reading something I would write myself through the first few sentences (I am 44). I have been having very similar issues over the past 4 weeks, the pain was so severe 5-6 times that I would shake and my teeth would chatter. I have started avoiding suspect foods, but have very little appetite and know I am not getting enough calories. I have had an ultrasound, barium swallow, HIDA scan, CT scan with contrast - all clear. Just had a gastric emptying study today, awaiting results, and I have an endoscopy scheduled next month. Just curious, what you have been dealing with since your post?

Try Librocol anticholergeni drug

Ask your doctor about Librocol anticholergenic drugs. This might help

How is healing going now. I am currently 21 year old male was diagnosed with latex allergies as a kid, never thought they be connected. Could you tell me a diet or what to avoid, I've been looking for years for any connection with little to no hope left, until I just read this post. You would be my hero if this fixed or at least helped my problems!

I find anything with tapioca in it gives me stomach spasms