I'd like to share my story with everyone here in the chance it can save someone from a lot of heartache and mental, physical, and spiritual pain.  

I was prescribed Tylenol 3 and Percadan after a pretty serious chest surgery when i was 16 years old.  They cut me from a high dosage after 6 months, and thus began my descent.  I was still experiencing pain from the surgery (cracking of sternum with titanium bar extending horizontally across breast screwed into bone to hold in place) as the withdrawals set in.  Luckily (or unluckily) for me, my father had a seemingly endless supply of pain medicine because of his many surgeries after a car accident, and seeing me in pain would have given me anything he could to alleviate any symptom.

Well, he did just that.  I began taking (and eventually snorting) oxycotin 10, 20, 40, 80, then 180, this progression took place over a period of about 3 years.   During this time oxycontin was not my only vice, as i was also taking Roxycodone as a "breakthrough" between oxy doses.
Eventually, my father was taken off of the pills and Rx'd 72-hour time-released Fentanyl duragesic patches.  First round started at 50mcg, then not too long after that it was 100mcg.  I became addicted to using a heating pad as much as the patches themselves, because using a heating pad would activate the gel to release the opiate faster.  My skin became sore, red, and blistered with bubbles of skin emerging from the long exposure to heat.  I was so embarrassed, but not apparently enough to make me quit.

I started doing the things you hear about people doing with those patches, all except intravenous (needle) use, thank God.  A good 4+ years go by like this....then I met methadone.  It was helpful at first, allowed me to quit the duragesic patches, skin healed, threw away heating pad, etc etc.

I am here to tell you, DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE about methadone.  This is a synthetic opiate that is much more difficult to quit than anything else i have ever been through.  It makes you wonder, why methadone clinics are legal and "regulated", when places like marijuana dispensaries are federally illegal.  I suspect the gigantic pharmaceutical industry lobby has something to do with that.  They profit off of the conversion from street and closet junkies to a synthetic opiate pharmaceutical that has the worst withdrawal symptoms I have ever experienced.  

I've been "trying to quit" methadone for 3+ years.  You will feel the stretching of limbs, sweats, chills, craps, etc etc with even the smallest change in dosage (5mg).  If your doctor or friend or whoever recommends you switch to methadone, I would absolutely refuse that idea, and try to taper yourself off of whatever you are problematic with.  Of course, self control is the key and you have to Want to be free again...but you wouldn't be here reading this if you weren't already hopeful and able.  I honestly believe the purpose of methadone is to evangelize the users of other Rx's who dread and get tired of constantly looking for a supply to feed their increasing appetite, and not surprisingly is almost equally expensive as most of your abused pharmas.

Note & Disclaimer: I DO NOT recommend cold turkey quitting methadone.  I had stepped myself down prior to the withdrawal issue...and I wasn't on a large dosage.  I would NOT cold turkey from regular use above 10mg, as the implications can be serious.  Many methadone clinics Require you to take a minimum dosage, as one does near me (30mg), which is in my opinion nefarious.  They want you to remain addicted (& in return, debilitated) to a (constantly encouraged) higher dose....it's a big business.

I am into day 4 of no methadone and attempt #3 to quit.  I cannot afford to go to clinic or get them another way.  Usual symptoms, stretching of limbs, yawning, frequent urinating, chills, sweats, depression, anxiety, easily emotional (from chemical imbalance i presume).

I have been taking 1000's of mg of vitamin C, A, K, and E.  (even tho they spell CAKE together, it definitely is not a cakewalk! :] ) Also have been taking mineral supplements and plant extracts to help clean my system.  You must fortify your body so that it can be aided by it's building blocks to detoxify faster.  This has been a lot easier than previous times, i believe because of the vitamin and mineral supplements.  

I am NOT a doctor, or more appropriately & importantly NOT a nutritionist. Do your own research on dosages of vitamins and minerals (and research their functions), but if you've made it this far, are you really afraid of vitamins and minerals?  You aren't dead yet! and your body is probably starved of it as it is, so if you are planning on withdrawing, fortify yourself before you begin.  If you're to be independent of these pharmaceutical curses, you need to be informed of nutrition science, the way human beings have lived healthily for thousands of years.

Methadone is a beast, a hungry ravenous lingering beast.  If you're withdrawing from methadone, i want to let you know one more thing that is helping me a lot with anxiety, depression, and the mental hunger for the drug.....smoking pot.  It's not physiologically addictive (you won't have withdrawal pains) and hell, it's natural (besides pesticides if any, & if you can know how it's grown).  It will also help your nausea so you can at least have somewhat of an appetite during the worst withdrawals.

Now, let us tell the drug dealing MD's that sold us and continues to sell us at the behest of big pharma, the magic pharmaceutical lie, tell them to f*ck off.  You are going to be in control of your life again soon.

Thanks for reading.  God Bless and you can do it.

Hi Nick, can you answer if you are on any sort of other medication?  What about eating habits?  Do you drink a lot of soda?  The reason i ask is the additives in a lot of our foods cause the symptoms that several pharmaceuticals were designed to treat.

There could be many many reasons, but i've been a smoker since I was 13 years old, quit off and on several times throughout my life and I have only had "anxiety" issues while being high in public places :).  Otherwise i've never had this problem with marijuana.

thank u. your awesome

Are you aware that methadone is one of the cheapest narcotics available today? Which clinic required a minimum dosage of 30mg? Of course methadone is difficult to withdraw from. The drugs that got us addicted(opiates), are the most addictive substances on the planet. If you're a heroin addict, your prospects are not good. 95% of addicts cannot stop once addicted. Methadone was not a cure all. It simply allowed the addict to return to productive life without crime and adverse health effects. When you start methadone maintenance, you sign a form that clearly says you will become addicted to it. But its a less problematic addiction! Most addicts have 4 choices: Stopping use, dying, prison or using a substitute. I chose to live and use a substitute. Methadone saved my life and many others. Now I have a very good life, actually. If I chose to detox, of course it will be difficult, look what caused it. Your information about cost of this medication and clinic practices are a little suspect to me. Sounds like you're blaming everything but yourself, which may be the real issue here, Good luck to ya, whatever you do.

Shinning star, your statistic of 95% of addicts cant stop sounds made up. If that were true N.A 12 step programs and rehab centers would be empty. Methadone treatment is a parking lot where the government parks addicts for years, sometimes lifetimes and charges them a daily rate. The whole business is a cash cow! I've heard doctors get around $100 for urine samples, as well as getting paid for paper work, and the quick pat on the back and here's your script, the total I hear is around $150 plus a visit. That's why they want to see you twice a week in the beginning and they recommend you stay on suboxone for at least six months before tapering down, even though they can do a fast taper which is far less painful, but they will tell you that you need to give your self time to distance your self from your user friends. the real reason is that the longer your on suboxone the more addicted you become and the harder it is to quit. The doctor at the clinic I was going to was driving an Italian sports car I've never even seen before, the nerve, you would think he'd have the decency to at least buy a focus or something for work. And Star as far as the opioids we did before the program being the most addicting, Methadone is the strongest of them all. I tried my girlfriends juice one time and I was high for two days and I just kept getting more and more high as time went on. And living a normal life well I have yet to find a boss that is o.k with me knocking off early on Thursday every week because I have to get to the clinic to get my script, or sorry I cant start work at six am because my pharmacy doesn't open until 9 am.

There' a reason these opioid centers are popping up every where, because there revolving door businesses just like jails. I do blame myself for putting myself in this position but I also see the gray area. I don't have the answer but am simply pointing out some of the wrongs. If your thinking of going on suboxone or god forbid methadone ask your doctor if its possible to do a fast taper and listen to his response:) Listen if you want to quit and you have a support center and something to fill the void in your hart that probably started your usage you can quit. All I'm saying is maybe there's an easier way than spending years parked on methadone or suboxone only to spend three months in withdrawl when you probably could just do a fast taper, save more money and get on the road to a normal life a lot faster....

by the way I wrote this so comments welcome (astroboy3865)

This idea that methadone is some kind of way for doctors and drug companies to get you on that medication is really ridiculous. Methadone is one of the cheapest synthetic opoid drugs around. The 10mg tablets average costing the consumer 10 to 20 CENTS each. How does a drug company get rich off that? It is true that this is one of the most addictive drugs on the planet, along with heroin and oxycodone and others. The reason for methadone even being used at all is for another OPTION for addicts. Once you are addicted to opiates you have few options. Basically here they are:
Abstinence (doing without)
Continuing use with risk of death or jail
Using a substitute
How many can just stop by any means and continue with normal life? Less than 10%
If you continue using, you either eventually end up in jail or hospital or the morgue.
If you use a substitute, you can live a decent life and recover.
So what do the rest of us do? Just keep using because we don't want to use a substitute? I don't see any other option that's realistic and practical. Those of us that simply cannot stop using opiates are left with what?
All I'm saying is that if methadone allows you to live a productive and healthy life then of course, do it. Doesn't take a genius to figure this out. Its not perfect but it works for thousands of people, actually millions now in 2014. Are they addicted to one of the most difficult drugs to withdraw from? Yes Are they alive? YES Are they out of jail? most are Are they healthy? healthier than when using opiates Are they productive? most are Are they committing crimes for their addiction? most are not

just a sincere thank you.

Methadone clinics in MN start u at 30mgs and many let u set your own dose as I did, I was up too 170mg a day and backed down to 150 for 5 years so 7 on methadone. 2/12 on suboxone, and whatever before... Got off methadone last week, decreased 5mg a day against policy, no bad withdrawal besides restless legs, stomach(like cant keep anything in body for more than a hour) and other then the sweating arm pits is disgusting but will pass..... If your mind Is ready your mind will overpower WD.. atleast most them, but if you got mind set your not ready don't do it cause mind over everthing is what I learned the hard way!