I have been on 70 mg of methadone for a little over the year. I decided to start detoxing a while ago. The clinic told me to do it 5 mg every 2 weeks, but I wasn't down with taking half a year to detox. So I decided to do it 5 mg a week. So everything was smooth sailing until I got down to 20 mg. The drop from 20-->15 was difficult and the next drops from 15->10 and 10-->5 were even harder. So now this is my first week on 5 mg a week and I am defiinitely getting the DEATHADONE withdrawl symptoms.

THE POINT OF THE POST IS...I am going out of town for a week this Sunday and I will no longer be prescribed methadone. I am scared that my withdrawl symptoms will be so much that they will mess up my vacation. My friend is gonna give me a few of his suboxones to take...

1) What dosage should I take them?

2) When should I start taking them?

3) How long should I take them?

4) And if I only take them for a week, will I still get withdrawl symptoms from the methadone or the suboxone?

Thank so much!

My daughter is addicted to opiates. She is trying to get herself together, but keeps falling off the wagon. She detoxed for 7 days on methadone then saw her MD to get on suboxone. The questions that you ask is for a doc to answer. Her dosage had to be regulated. You know it's not a good idea to take them from your friend. Are they prescribed for him or does he buy the off the street?
If you are connected to a clinic why not give them a call. Maybe they can do this the right way for you. Then you will be sure to have a pleasant vacation.
When she had no $$$ for her heroin, she would buy methadone off the street. $10 a pill. This was just to ease things a bit. When she had no $$$$ to buy the dones, a friend gave her his suboxone and she was sicker than a dog. Don't mess with this, talk to your clinic.
Good Luck to you.

I personally feel that suboxone is the way to go, although I did hear that when switching from methadone to suboxone you have to wait at least 4 days or you will go into severe withdrawal. Suboxone supposedly takes away any thoughts of use if taken correctly. 8/2 once a day should be plenty for you, but you should find a doctor who can prescribe it to you. Most insurance companies do cover it. Hope this helps. Good Luck

Methadone Clinics do not give a sh*t about you. and once they see that you are detoxing they tend to make life hard on you..(since they know they will be losing your cash)....

there is no way a Methadone clinic will help you make the transfer to suboxone (been there done that)...

You can start taking Suboxon right away if you are only on 5 mg. a day. you shouln't have to waite untill you go into a severe withdraw. most doctors will treat you 24 hours after your last dose if you are under 30mg.

once you start feeling bad take one 8mg. pill then another half pill later (about 4/5 hours later)..

Day #2 take one 8mg. pill when you wake. and another half pill as needed (every 4/5 hours)

Day #3 repeate day #2.

try not to take more then two pills...(16mg.)

Day #4 you should be able to go down to half a pill for the whole day. since you are so low right now on Methadone you shouldn't have to take much after the first three days...

just stay away from the Methadone!.....please!

Frankie, maybe i didn't explain. My daughter was in a clinic where they were detoxing her with methodone. She chose to leave the program because she couldn't handle it. The clinic did NOT help her make the transfer from methodone to suboxone, her Doctor did, outside of the clinic.
Needless to say, it failed because she gave up...again.
The police picked her up last night from a bench warrent. The warrant came to be because she failed to appear in drug court, twice!!!
I just need to rebut your comments that clinics don't care about you.
She was in Albany, Conifer Park. I met the staff and was able to speak with them periodically over the phone, and they were genuinely concerned.
She was the one who backed out. They did not want her to leave. In fact, she started to run a temp with a sore throat. They took her to the hospital and they found strep throat.
You have to want to be there. If you go in with an i don't care attitude, your gonna come out the same way.
She did not want to be there. She only went in to shut every one up. She is an addict. My heart breaks, every day.

I am sorry about you Daughter. :cry: :cry: :cry:

the ropes I have been through have many knots.I was able to detox off Methadon and go on Suboxone because I had stopped using Herion/Benzo's, all while being on Methadone... will never forget the mistake I made by entering a Methadone program!..

but to tell you the truth I wasn't ready to stop using at the time. all the Methadone was to me was a sucurity blanket for the days I couldn't score smack (that would only be when I didn't have any money) living in Chicago area scoring smack is pretty easy.

but when I did finally come to my senses Suboxone was a much better choice. and what I like the most about Sub is,you can't use if you are on Sub you will go into withdraw....

I sure hope you can get your Daughter home and safe. and get her to this site so she can wake up!.....I'll tell her some horror stories, and I am sure others can as well.

sincerly,Frank

It has been a horror story for the family, and especially me.
Her hands and arms are so scared from needles. She has to wear long sleeves to hide them.
Every time the phone rings i about jump out of my skin. My niece was murdered last year from a heroin over dose. She went missing and the fam posted fliers all over the place. She was found 3 days later in the backseat of her car, dead.
She laid dead in 90 degree weather all this time.
My daughter has lost her son, most of her fam, all of her good friends and everything. She has no home and carries what little stuff she has in a back pack. She has stolen from me, from her son's other grama, from stores. You name it. She is a tiny little thing and has no fear. She goes into the worst neighborhoods like it's walking into a mall.
She has been in jail a few times, in detox twice, tried out patient, that didn't work. I fear the worst. One of these days i will have to identify her and it won't be in a police line up. :'(

1) What dosage should I take them?

2) When should I start taking them?

3) How long should I take them?

Thank so much!

.... I'm an expert at opioids, opiots, oipiods, heroin, synthetic heroin (methadone) 3types. white methadose pill. clear methadone and cherry flavoured one... what ever you wanna call it.

I use methadone before, detoxed from it, got it on it again i've done it over and over again. you can start taking suboxone once you're down to 40mg of methadone and "NOT GET SICK" taking 2 suboxone's a day would be an appropriate dose 16mg's... when you start to run short on suboxone start taking half's... no more 2 a day or 1 day. "BELIEVE IT OR NOT" withdrawing from those orange hexagonic bastards can make your life miserable. Good luck.

BTW i'm back on methadone... and not because I couldn't take the withdrawls... because I can kick it cold turkey... I just love the high that it gives me.

I just wanted - NO, felt the NEEEEED to comment on this last quote.. About how you "WILL NOT GET SICK" making the switch from methadone to Suboxone. It is SO DEFINITELY FACT, that you will go into early withdrawals, or precipitated withdrawals if you will... It SUCKS!! I've personally had this happen, so I know this for a fact. I have been an addict for about 5 years. Im only 24. I detoxed from "standard opioids" twice, and failed after the 1st time for sure, by going back to them, and after the 2nd time i started on Suboxone program, which worked wonders. Its a miracle medical prescription! I then went over a year on them, with "occasion" slip-ups;( intentionally, for the high...) and still always went back to them no problem. -As long as your taking "regular opioids" and wait the normal 12 hours, your fine to go back on the Suboxone. BUUUUTTTTT: I recently made the HUGE mistake of going on methadone; also recreationally, and took them for a few weeks straight because I had a "friend" that would give them to me real cheap, and woke up one morning, ran out, said oh well, popped a 'Boxone, and an hour later I was in EXTREME withdrawals for about 72 hours approximately. It was HELL on wheels! But I made it out. I was actually not all "suicidally dangerous" as i have read on other posts, but just hot as a mother, and colder than a father! But what really sucked the most was the fact that out of my 5 years as an addict, i never really had to experience withdrawals (lucky me?) because I never let myself go without long enough, and both times I detoxed were pretty alright. Plus the Suboxone is a miracle like i said... ANYHOW. The moral of my story is that methadone IS the devil, and even though I hated how i felt when switched off it, and got through it, i relapsed back to it, and have been on it for about 3 more months. Today is my last day, because its all i have left, and now i owe my "friend" money. I don't like owing any one anything, and I'm severely disappointed in myself, and worried like hell about getting off it again, and getting back on the Suboxone> I know I am dumb to have slipped up again, but I sincerely enjoy(ed) the high from methadone, and did it to myself. I knew what i was doing. But now i don't. At least I'm not positive... I think from what Ive previously experienced, and read online in different searches, that I just need to wait about 36 hours (minimum) and then I SHOULD be alright to get back on my subox'. I can tell you this: I am scared, and will now have to pay the price and have to make my self, or rather -let my self; get sick, so that i can get back on the 'Boxone. Im looking forward to just being on the stuff, and really pray that i can have the will power to not look back on Dones'. I don't wanna take them, but they sure are lovely. Said the devil....

Glad everything worked out. I am one day out of clinical detoxing for a year's use of 60 gr. of meth. Had used for chronic pain. Am hoping that suboxone might substitute; however am hearing bad things about detoxing from that, too. I think that the use of suboxone or subutex differs depending on what you are withdrawing from. However, the bottom line was that none of the docs there would think about giving the drug until 48 hours of detox. It is not to be punitive, as one of my fellow "guests" regaled. Rather, it is a physical nightmare to take it too soon. It reacts in the opposite way, causing unbelievable pain, as others have said. I am on 24 units of suboxone right now seeking to go down soon. Not wanting to go through methadone withdrawal ever, ever, ever, again. As one gentleman said, "methadone is hell" >;) . Good luck to everyone and to the woman wanting help for her daughter. I hope something gives her the determination and the right to feel that she is good enough to live and fight this thing.

i was addicted to oxycontin for years before starting methadone for 4 years. last friday i took my last dose of 30mgs of methadone then used percocets up until sunday night to keep me from getting sick. i went to the dr's office monday morning and started on suboxone and immediatly felt great. i was in minor withdrawl when i enteren but felt perfect when i left with a script of suboxone. after reading all the horror stories on here i was surprised it made me feel so good so quick but it did. my insuarance fully covers it and i feel alot better not making weekly vivits to the meth clinic anymore. i have been on suboxone for 1 week as of today and i feel great

NO OFFENSE BUT i DOUBT YOUR STORY IS TRUE: Methadone clinics do not take people down a specific amount every two weeks - they take you down a percentage of your dose between 5 and 20 percent so when you are down to 20 mgs they will be taking you down 2 mg at a time at 10mg they take you down 1-2 mg at a time this because if they did not and detoxed as you described the 5mg between 20 nd 15 is a 25% decrease 15-10 is a 30% decrease and 10-5 is a 50% decrease- THE PERCENTAGE OF DECREASE IS WHAT GIVES YOU WITHDRAW NOT THE DECREASE IN MGS. iF YOUR STORY IS TRUE THEN YOUR CLINIC DOES NOT FOLLOW ESTABLISHED MEDICAL STANDARDS AND COULD HAVE THEIR LICENCING REVIEWED

Werdna..............Why not try to use TRAMADOL for the withdrawals. It is available on line without a perscription. It comes in 50 100 and 200mg strengths and also Extended Release and Sustained Release........I did will on the 100mg dose...........If you can do this for about 2 weeks, then taper down, you should not feel much of a methadone withdrawal, and you wouldnt have given enough time to get addicted to the tramadol which is not as dangerous as the average opioid which is why it is available without a perscription online. You can not get SUBOXONE or METHADONE online w/o a script!!!!!

It is worth a try, but TALK to a Doctor first............You can also get a doctor to give you suboxone and try taking it every 4 or 5 days. As low a dose as you can stand. Do NOT take it every day and no more than about 2 weeks. It has a VERY LONG and draaagggggged out Post Acute Withdrawal phase!

Guest wrote:

Werdna wrote:

1) What dosage should I take them?

2) When should I start taking them?

3) How long should I take them?

Thank so much!

My clinic takes me down 3mgs every week, without fail, because I requested it. It is absolutely legal operation where I'm located (Virginia)..FYI