Hi! I am 26 years old. What is neurocardiogenic syncope? I had loss of consciousness, a day ago. First, time in my life I fainted. What are the symptoms of NCS? I worry that I will faint again. How is NCS treated?

Hi! Neurocardiogenic syncope is a temporary loss of consciousness associated with a drop in arterial blood pressure, quickly followed by a slowed heart rate. Neurocardiogenic fainting usually occurs while you standing. Stressful condition, emotional stress, especially among the young can be cause of NCS. Warning symptoms are fatigue, weakness, nausea, sweating, pallor, visual disturbances, abdominal discomfort, headache, pins-and-needles, lightheadedness or vertigo. There are a variety of non-pharmaceutical methods used to control and prevent neurocardiogenic syncope. No single therapy has been found to be effective in all patients. Leg crossing combined with muscle tensing at the onset of prodromal symptoms can postpone, and in some instances prevent, vasovagal syncope. Sitting with the head between the knees often is an effective means of preventing syncope. You should see a doctor to determine cause of NCS.

I am 25 and have Vasovagal syncope (Neurocardiogenic syncope). If you want to know whether or not you have it then get a "Tilt Table Test".

I was properly diagnosed 3 years ago, but I started fainting at about 18 years old. In the most basic terms this is a fainting disorder that starts when the brain and heart don't communicate properly in regulating heart rate versus blood pressure. There is an overstimulation of the Vagus nerve. The act of fainting is caused by the Bezold-Jarisch Reflex or BJR.

I have been on beta blockers but not happy with the results. However, I've found I can change things significantly through my lifestyle.

I take:
Plenty of PROTEIN
vitamin Bs--- particularly Biotin
Potassium
occasionally salt tablets
PLENTY OF WATER particularly with electrolytes
OMEGA 3, 6 & 9
General supplement of Essential Amino acids

(Omega 3 ALA found in black currant and flax seed). I recommend "Black Currant 1000" which is an OMEGA supplement including OMEGA 6 & 9 you can buy at Whole Foods. It is very important to take your OMEGA 6 & 9 along with your OMEGA 3s because OMEGA 3s can screw up the amount of 6 & 9 you have to process.

I came up with that regimen once I realized eating OMEGA 3 eggs (or organic eggs) significantly helped me. Then I looked up what the hell is in eggs nutritionally.

Eating enough protein seems to be very important. Red meats and eggs contain important protein acids such as Arachidonic Acid or ARA. For some reason making sure I have enough protein is key to not passing out. In some lab rat studies having not enough protein brought on the Bezold-Jarisch Reflex.

I take Potassium (either in the form of amino acids or Potassium Chloride or supplemented waters) because I have a tendency towards dehydration, which can bring on a vasovagal attack. Drinking Smart Water or Gatorade can help.

It may seem like a lot of vitamins to pop, but it's worth it. I've had way too many side effects on beta blockers and if you take them, but then miss a dose even by just a couple of hours---- your symptoms are worse than if you had never taken the stuff in the first place.

It's key to remember that vasovagal syncope is not a diagnosis with a known cure. It is a symptom of a problem starting with the neurotransmitters. Scientists have barely scratched the surface in understanding them, but the essential fatty acids and amino acids majorally contribute to their success. By taking beta blockers you may help the SYMPTOMS but not fix the initial problem itself.