Hi! I have been diagnosed with a condition called vasovagal syncope. I blackout and doctor told other doctor that I had vasovagal syncope. What is Vasovagal Syncope? What are the treatments?

Hi! This is a very common condition that results in fainting or a blackout in as many as half of people at least once in their life. Vasovagal syncope is not a serious or life threatening condition, but in effect an abnormal reflex. This results in a drop in blood pressure leading to decreased blood flow to the brain resulting in dizziness or fainting. The treatment of vasovagal syncope ranges from simple lifestyle measures to medications. Most patients are significantly improved with lifestyle measures, which are always tried first. This includes avoiding prolonged standing (church, assembly, lineups), looking away during blood testing etc. If symptoms occur, crossing the legs and squeezing while sitting, or laying down and elevating the legs will help shorten the episode and raise the blood pressure. Also your doctor will tell you about salt and water intake. Also he will prescribe some medication if you needed.

I have this condition as well, though mine is a very mild form. Some people can't even get out of bed in the morning without fainting, and have to take medication prior to even sitting up.

Mine is set off from other triggers than just elevation change. Years ago, I took beta blockers to alleviate my symptoms, but for the frequency of my episodes, the medicine altered my ability to exercise and I thought it was more detrimental. My episodes are seizures, not just fainting, but I have been able to identify my triggers to avoid them. You may find triggers of your own, and avoid them in order to reduce the fainting spells you have.

Find a good cardiologist, one who is willing to listen to you, and work with them. They can give you good information, and work with your lifestyle and diet, as well as any possible medications you may need.

I have been on epilepsy medication since I was 9 yrs old. I am 32 now and last month my neurologist (only had him for a couple of yrs) told me that he believes I have been misdiagnosed and I really have vasovagal syncope. My episodes (seizure like) have happened a few times when I have had accidents. So they are all related to pain and 2 times when I had blood drawn.

I don't know much about this, just trying to learn what I can, but I am a little worried about getting pregnant and all that it entails with hormone levels and getting blood tests and things.

It's a little strange to just avoid having accidents and getting hurt - doesn't everyone do that? But normally I would avoid blood tests when I can but I know once you get pregnant that comes with the territory. Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Ok, I have have VVS as well, I have had it since 2007, It is the worst thing I think I could have to deal with, You have to see a cardiologist and keep your appointments, because it not only effects the blood flow to your brain but also to your heart, Your Cardi might prescrib you these wonderful stockings, that you norm see on elderly women, but hey guess what we aint aint getting any younger, also there is bloos pressure meds you can take prescribed by a doc, and you might be placed on a Salt intake increase, this helps keep our blood pressure and blood flow at a good pace. I am currently 31 wks and 1 day pregnant and trust me my Syncope is acting up so bad, I can't stand for longer 3 min, and everyday it's getting worse and worse, but my body is working for 2 people now, so we will see if it regulates itself in 8 weeks, after I give birth. :-)