I have a sister who is going to medical school and she mentioned me something about neutrophils. She said that is one of blood cells, so I found it interesting. When I asked her what is this using for, she could not tell me anything. That is why I want to ask you to tell me something about neutrophils. What kind of cells are those, and what is their role in our blood and organism?

Neutrophils, which are also known as polymorphonuclear leukocytes, represent 50 to 60% of the total circulating leukocytes. They constitute so called, first line of defense' against infectious agents or strange' substances that penetrate the body's physical barriers. Once that inflammatory response is initiated, neutrophils are the first cells to be recruited to sites of infection. Their targets include bacteria, fungi, viruses, virally infected cells and tumor cells. Their development in the bone marrow takes about two weeks, and during this period, they undergo proliferation and differentiation. During maturation, they pass trough six morphological stages to become functional neurtophils. The only segmented neutrophil is a fully functionally active cell that is able to fight protecting our organism. Interesting fact is that cells of the circulating and marginated pools can exchange with each other. One more important thing of neutrophils is that they are thought undergo apoptosis, which is programmed cell death. The viability is significantly shorter in individuals suffering from infectious or acute inflammatory diseases, when newly recruited neutrophils increase considerably.