Hello, folks. I was on a routine checkup at my doctor's office. I did a blood test. It seems that I have low white blood cells. I wonder why this is. Is it possible to increase my wbc count in any way? I would appreciate if anyone could answer me this. Thanks in advance.

Hi, there. Normal range of white blood cells or leukocytes is between 4.000 and 10.000 per mm3 of blood. If your leukocytes are just bellow 4.000, then you shouldn't worry a lot. However, if they are very low, for instance lower than 2.500, then there is a serious infection going on. Have you been using some drugs? Certain medications can lower leukocytes significantly. Radiation and bone marrow diseases can also cause this. In any case, further tests are necessary. You must consult your doctor about this. Bye!

There was no answer to the question "can the low white cell count be rectified and how"