Hi, folks. My brother has been diagnosed with lymphoma and they are preparing his treatment plan. I think he will be recommended doxorubicin. I would like to know if his myocardium will be damaged when taking this type of medications. I think I have read somewhere this piece of info. Thanks.

Hi to you too. Doxorubicin can cause many side effects. Myocardial damaging is just one of them. It blocks myocardial cells’ apoptosis. Apoptosis is a programmed cell death which is very important for the “life” of every tissue. Doxorubicin also blocks protein carbonylation. This all leads to congestive heart failure and dilated cardiomyopathy. It can even lead to death. That is why administrating of doxorubicin and every other cytostatic must be carefully controlled. I hope your brother will be all right.