I had anorexia for about 10 years and although I have been at a healthy weight (7.7 stone, BMI 18.6, 5ft 3) for some time, my periods haven't returned and I desperately want to start a family. I do exercise for about 40mins a day and eat healthily - albeit low fat foods. Been referred for IVF but would love for to conceive naturally.
Has anyone got any advice on what I can do to help kick start ovulation/periods??
:'(

Hi! Have you talked to your gynecologist about this? Anorexia can cause amenorrhea-loss of period for six months of longer. Normally, women in recovery get their periods back once they get their weight up to what it was before so maybe you need to wait for a while, until your body gets to normal again.

Hi.
My gynecologist was really unhelpful. Only gave me 3 rounds of clomid before deciding she couldn't help anymore and so referred me for IVF treatment. No advice on how to naturally increase my chances of periods returning :'(

I'm sorry to hear that. Well, I'm not a doctor but there must be something that can be done. First of all you need to keep a healthy weight and have good eating habits, and take care of yourself as much as possible. You can always try with some herbal products. My mother is always forcing me to drink Marrubium vulgare tea, apparently it's great for fertility. In English it's called White Horehound or Common Horehound. So you can try reading about it. I wish you good luck :-) Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice and well wishes. I will give it a try. :-)

Have you had your levels tested, sounds like low progesterone and estrogen? I am on hormone replacement and I'm 33. I also run everyday and my estrogen was well below menopausal, I like you don't have many fat cells for it to hide. I went to several doctors before I found one that wanted to help, I have a lot more energy now and feel a lot better, and as soon as my levels come back up he saids my body should begin producing again on it's own, Liz

Hi Liz

I had my levels tested several months ago but wasn't told what the results showed exactly - doctor not very informative.
I have started reducing my exercise levels (7 days-5 days) and am now drinking organic full fat milk and cheese (eek!) and going to Yoga. Hoping that these changes will reduce stress levels (not that I thought I was stressy anyway but my bf says otherwise) and increase my number of fat cells so that my body starts working again (its been 10yrs so hoping its not given up).
Thanks for your advice though.

Trix

Hi Trix, I had to go a couple of docs to get everything reviewed, you should call and ask for the numbers, I've done lots of research on this, see if your estrogen is below 36. I know docs don't always want to give you supplements cause they worry about getting sued due to the risks, best of luck, Liz

My consultant won't see me anymore to tell me now that she has referred me for IVF so I'm going it alone and doing lots of reading and research. I do know that my estrogen levels were on low side of healthy/normal but they saw no cause for concern. I am aiming for BMI of 20 as apparently better fertility success rate if your BMI is between 19-23..