For the past three or four years I've had the same problems with my eyes. It only occurs about once a year and usually starts during August, lasting for about a month or so. The lower eyelid of either eye, though only one eye at a time, becomes sore and swollen, while I also become extremely tired while this is taking place (I.E. I can get a regular amount of sleep that should leave me feeling refreshed but instead I wake up and feel groggy and just want to go back to sleep, though I know that I've had enough).
The puffiness will normally go away within a few hours of waking up but the soreness stays and when my eye is puffy and sore in the morning it can sometimes be hard to see out of, though it's not always that much of a problem.
A few years ago I went to the doctor because my eye was so bad that I couldn't see out of it and it stayed that way for the entire day. The doctor said that he couldn't find anything wrong and assumed it was just allergies, giving me eye drops, which I used yet with no effect. I, however, am in a different location than previously and the problem is still persisting.
And if this is age is a factor that could contribute, I just turned 17, and this has been lasting since I was about 14 years old.
Because it accompanies a headache, I use a cool compress (on my eye) and lie down until the worst passes, though that is only a temporary solution and doesn't always work.
Does anyone have any idea what this is or how to treat it?
Thank you.

It sounds like you may have a case of sinusitis. Sinus congestion is caused by a variety of factors such as allergens, bacteria, viruses, fungus, and so on. Chronic sinusitis can lead to a number of complex symptoms. Personally I've had some similar symptoms to your own. I and a lot of other people have found that regularly irrigating the sinuses can help a lot. Traditional methods of nasal irrigation include neti pots or using your hands, but you can also use modern sprays like Sinox. You'll want to try different approaches to find what works for you.