i'm 43 with terrible under eye hollow that started showing about 10 years ago now, with some signs of it before then as well. i understand fillers are a treatment some people undergo, but also that it should only ever done by a very experienced plastic surgeon. is there not something less invasive i can do to treat under eye hollow? creams perhaps? even makeup to hide it? while i am plucking up the courage to go to a plastic surgeon i would really like to hear tips. what can i do at home and what do i need to know if i do want the fillers?

Obviously I haven't seen your eyes, so I can't really comment on what would be best in your situation. I do know that something called structural fat grafting is becoming increasingly popular, often being preferred over more invasive surgery that can, if not done perfectly, leave you looking a bit artificial. So, structural fat grafting is a series of sessions where fat is gradually introduce to the lower eyelids. It is then accepted by the body in steps, and you end up with a more youthful look without those under eye hollows. Some people do require more invasive surgery though. Could you go and consult a plastic surgeon?

I actually had to look up exactly what is meant by under eye hollows and didn't really get a better idea from my search. I assume that this refers to a hollow under eye area, though? It doesn't exactly sound like medical jargon, LOL, but I did see that Restylane is an excellent option for hollow looking lower eyelids, and that's administered in the form of fillers. Those who have had them say that they are not painful, which is weird, but well, even if it was, if it works, right...? No pain, no gain?

Well, I don't know how bad it is. There's slightly sunken eyes and there's very sunken eyes. But I've heard about some home remedies, some of which I tried to get rid of dark circles (which isn't the same as sunken eyes, but they do go together to an extent). I thought you might like to hear about them. One that really made me look better was to apply raw potato juice (done in juicer) to my under eyes with a cotton pad. I found it lightened the dark circles and made my eyes less puffy. Many people also talk about almond oil, which I'd like to try but haven't yet, and teabags, which just didn't appeal to me but to each their own. Then, there's something else, which is taking cod liver oil. I think it made my skin look better as well as my nails and also gave me more energy.

The area under the eyes is a little sunken in everyone. Because this area is one of the first areas to show real symptoms of aging, it is often a problem spot for many people. It comes in degrees, though. If you have very visible under eye hollows, then yes, I can see why you would want to do something about it. There are exercises and creams that claim to target this area, but I am not sure I would trust that. These hollows are being caused by a lack of fat under the skin, so why would creams and exercises remedy that.

Restylane fillers are done by plastic surgeons, but that are quite non-invasive as in it takes 15 minutes and you instantly look better without any downtime.

Instead of Restylane, your own fat from other sources can also be used. Fillers can offer you a radical transformation in next to no time. They are non-surgical procedures. If your under eye hollows are affecting your self esteem, this is most certainly something you shouldn't hesitate to look into because you may expect pain and a long recovery period. This procedure is not like that. You do not need recovery time. 

Hi OP,

You asked: "what can i do at home and what do i need to know if i do want the fillers?"

To the first question, I'd say you should explore the use of a vitamin C serum or retinol cream designed for the under eye area. Both work doubly, by tightening and lightening the skin. If you are not currently using any product for the eyes that tackles dark circles and sagging, then these things can have a true pick me up effect that should quickly improve your skin a great deal. You don't have much to lose, though these products aren't very cheap, they are cheaper and less risky than surgical interventions.

Good luck.

Celebrity

I am also not certain what "under eye hollows" are, but a Google image search suggests they they are sunken eyelids, basically. I'm not sure what to suggest about this, but I do suffer from pretty bad under eye circles that make me look much older than I am. I recently went to see a dermatologist about it and received the suggestion to undergo a chemical peel. I'm not quite ready yet, knowing bad reactions are possible. In the meantime, I'm using Vitamin C, hyaluronic acid and vitamin E serum all over my facial skin. I have certainly seen improvements, and pretty rapid ones too, but the dark circles aren't gone yet. It has numerous benefits though and cannot hurt you, so it may be a good starting point for you as well. 

Rosie

Colour me confused too, LOL. Sounds like terrible English, TBH, but from what I've seen it's mentioned so much that's it's actually like a legit name: "under eye hollow". Sounds like a Halloween costume if you ask me. (Sorry, not funny if you got this, yeah, just commenting on the name here.) I certainly seen a lot of guys with sunken eyes. It seems less common in the ladies, yeah? But it's good that there's stuff you can do about this anyway. Fillers of different kinds, yeah, that stuff is pretty routine these days and of course you need to get a plastic surgeon to do it, but basically any competent one can do that for you. Course, the bit under the eyes is like a fair bit more sensitive than the rest of the skin, but hey, they do face lifts and brow lifts all the time, which def is a lot more complex than fillers. Good luck with your treatment, whatever you decide. 

Restylane and Juvederm Ultra are both hyaluronic acid based fillers that correct under eye hollows without creating an artificial look: your eyes should be brought back to something close to their original state. There is no downtime for this procedure, though you should indeed avoid aspirin and other blood thinners if you do not want bruises. The effects of this treatment last up to six months, after which you will need to have a follow up procedure. The fact that the effect wears off is a positive in my mind: permanent fillers can go wrong after a while, making you look worse than you did before the treatment. There is no risk of that happening in this case. HTH.

I also have hollow eyes from missing fat, and despite using creams that have the aim of firming up the under eye areas, I have seen no improvement. That is no surprise, really, because the true issue is missing fat and no amount of cream, not even collagen boosting cream, can replenish that fat. I am currently seriously considering plastic surgery. Fat grafting is the treatment that appeals to me most, because it is a permanent solution that does not wear off and it uses your own tissues. I am still not quite decided though, because of course I am worried about the end results. I want to make sure that I will be happy with the final result.